Posted

SuberAvid    412

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • photo-thumb-75.jpg
  • Contributing Member
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 19 November · Report post

Well I have to apologize for not having a very good picture log of the stretched Avid project.  Attached are some pictures taken early on of the stretched area and the added reinforcing in the tail area.  Jack has been helping me with this and it is always nice to be able to bounce ideas off each other.  Before cutting the fuselage we leveled it with reference tubing at the wing root and the horizontal stabilizer areas to be sure we maintained the level and alignment of both sections and mounted the front to a long piece of channel and the back to a tubing frame we could slide down the sides of the channel.  It worked very well to keep everything aligned.  I heated and bent the longerons to align with each other where they were separated and made small splice tubes of the next larger tubing in .058 as you can see in the pictures.  Thankfully, these will all get welded by our own AFF Founder.  I added in all the tubing and truss bracing in the new section and it worked out very well as a new bay but it caused the fuselage to have a bit of a jog in it rather than a smooth shape, so I cut all the side longeron tube mounts loose and replaced them to get a smooth curve and also added an additional bottom longeron tube on each side to smooth the curve along the bottom.  Since then I have the mixer remounted under the pilot seat and the mount for the push/pull cables as well as removing all the tubing at the back of the seat and behind the seat that supported the mixer assembly.  This completely opens up the first two pays behind the seat for cargo and allows me to mount independent (boat) seats about 4" further back.  I trussed across the fuselage at the back of the seat similar to what is at the front of the seat and also added additional truss tubing at the rear door area to widen it at the shoulders by about 2" each side and to add more strength back to the fuselage since the seat back tubing was removed.  I plan to dogleg the brace tubes going to the center motor mounts to give me more foot room and will add the bottom row of motor mounts that my Avid+ has so I don't have to worry about the extra HP of the Yamaha planned for the nose.  I will probably also add the third landing gear mount like I have on my Avid+ and increase the height of the tail and rudder to get some additional area and do a balanced rudder.  I really like the rounded tail but I plan to just square off the tail and rudder since it will be easier and gives the maximum area.  Once all tacked in place, will haul it to Leni to do his welding magic!

I'll post some more recent pictures this weekend or so when I get a chance to take some more.  If I can help anyone else thinking about doing this just let me know.

DSCN3558-1.jpg

DSCN3559-1.jpg

DSCN3560-1.jpg

DSCN3561-1.jpg

DSCN3562-1.jpg

5 people like this

Randy Tyler

Palmer, Alaska

Avid+ / N316DT

Subaru EA-81, IVO Medium IFA 72"

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Firesteve    1

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November · Report post

Thanks Randy, nice work!

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

SuberAvid    412

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • photo-thumb-75.jpg
  • Contributing Member
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 November · Report post

Here are some pictures of the project at its current stage; mixer control under seat, widened at doors, smoothed longeron shape, extended baggage.  Still some reinforcing around cabin to do, additional motor mounts and landing gear mounts to do, etc., plus enlarge tail and rudder.

DSCN3678-1.jpg

DSCN3679-1.jpg

DSCN3680-1.jpg

DSCN3681-1.jpg

DSCN3682-1.jpg

DSCN3683-1.jpg

DSCN3684-1.jpg

DSCN3686-1.jpg

DSCN3687-1.jpg

DSCN3693-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Randy Tyler

Palmer, Alaska

Avid+ / N316DT

Subaru EA-81, IVO Medium IFA 72"

1 person likes this

Posted

New Tail:  I wanted a little bigger tail and balanced rudder to be more like the size of the Avid+ so after a little sketching and head scratching this is what Jack and I came up with.

DSCN3718-1.jpg

DSCN3720-1.jpg

DSCN3722-1.jpg

DSCN3724-1.jpg

DSCN3726-1.jpg

DSCN3727-1.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

That is a pretty significant increase!  Looking good mr.

:BC:

Posted

Your gonna have a great Airplane there.

Posted

Outstanding!  Really really nice!

Posted

Fantastic work! please keep us informed.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Adding a few more early pictures of the chop and stretch in case someone is interested in where it was cut. and also some o removing the tubing behind the seat to move the seat back and open up the baggage area.  Sorry for these being out of order, they should be first in the series.

DSCN3287-1.jpg

DSCN3288-1.jpg

DSCN3291-1.jpg

DSCN3294-1.jpg

DSCN3296-1.jpg

DSCN3295-1.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
5 people like this