Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox model 1

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Just seen a Fox model 1 on barnstormers for 21,900.  Hope he gets his price for it or something close. Maybe some are starting to see how good these planes are and price them accordingly. The days of good flyable Avid/Foxes for 10K are gone.

Posted (edited)

Be cool if he did but wow,  Everybody wants the model 4 wing for some reason?

Edited by TJay

Posted

Be cool if he did but wow,  Everybody wants the model 4 wing for some reason?

It seems so and people are willing to pay the price. There were probably more model 4's sold than 1,2 or 3's combined. Not too many of any of them on the market now, either. Wonder if there would be a market for a new model 1, 2 or 3 kit manufactured today at a reasonable price? At material prices though it would be hard to stay at a reasonable price.

Posted

Not sure if there is a Market.  Is Avid producing kits yet?

Tubing at Spruce has doubled on alot of sizes and shipping is triple I found that out the other day they wanted 46 dollars to role up a throttle cable and ship it to me so I called them to get a proforma number they got it down to 18 bucks. Frustrating when I have to do that anymore.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not many low cost kits anymore. Aerodrome Airplanes has kits under 10K but just basic raw materials and a few special parts. I had one of his kits and give it away. As I've always said, kits, engines and planes are getting more expensive everyday so a 20K Avid/Fox is worth it. No matter what model it is.

Posted

they are still out there, I am one of the dummies that don't believe in raping a fellow aviator.  I would rather sell mine cheap then to watch her sit and not get flown.  She deserves better than that.  If I can help out a fellow aviator on a tight budget well that's just a double bonus for me.

:BC:

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

they are still out there, I am one of the dummies that don't believe in raping a fellow aviator.  I would rather sell mine cheap then to watch her sit and not get flown.  She deserves better than that.  If I can help out a fellow aviator on a tight budget well that's just a double bonus for me.

An Atta Boy for feeling that way!  Not a lot of people feel like that now days. Not a lot of us will put 15K in a project and sell it for 12K. I like to at least get most of my money back. Yes, there are some shysters out there selling anything and everything including airplanes. Most of us are informed enough to know what they're  worth. But what they are worth depends on whether you are buying or selling.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

I tend to buy high and sell low.. or just hang onto things.  I know I will have sellers remorse.  If the sale falls through I am sure I wont be butt hurt about it.  Something about taking a twisted pile of wreckage and making it fly again that gives one a bit of sentimental feelings for it.  I know I won't get hurt or loose much on the sale, but I also know I probably will never be able to replace it for that.  At any rate, I will just take those funds and put it right back into building the Coyote or the amphib.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sometimes we can't put a price on the joy of building!  Or the satisfaction we get when we watch it fly away. A nice way to look at it. A toast of Maxwell House to you! The difference between a pilot an a aviator, the pilot can fly a plane, the aviator loves all parts of aviation.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
3 people like this

Posted

Well said Allen!!!! And a Cheers to u this warm Alaska am as i enjoy my Folgers. :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

I never realized Crown Royal was spelled like that!  LOL!   Here in WVa we use what we call "Snapper juice".  Must be an Alaskan spelling.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
2 people like this

Posted

I just wonder if the price increases on Avids and Kitfoxes will be a short lived phenomena. I seems that the recent increases must have been spurred on by the Trent Palmer and similar video popularity. I just wonder if it will continue to drive prices or if the fad will die off.  I certainly think that all of those brand new Kitfox kits being sold, a large number of them will probably show up as unfinished kits in a few years.

2 people like this

Posted

Generally there are many new kits that are never completed due to various reasons. The Trent Palmer vids might have something to do with new kits being sold. And some bleed off on the model 1,2 and 3's. I think a new model 7 kit is around 30-35K depending on options. So add engine, panel, and all the finishing stuff (there is a lot) and you are bumping 60K for a flyable aircraft, most likely 70K. Most potential builders don't do a cost analysis before they pull the trigger and order the kit. Then sticker shock hits hard. Like I said before, the older 1, 2, and 3's aren't as fast, less room, and don't carry as much, but still a lot of fun for many thousands less. Plus some may want to fly the older models a while to see if its for them or if that's what they want. Then maybe upgrade to a model 5 or 7. Them some find it does the job just fine without mortaging the house. The 2 stroke fear isn't really an issue anymore because there are some 4 strokes that can be retrofitted. Due to the cost of everything going up, prices most likely won't come down on new or used aircraft. The challenger line of aircraft took a hit recently due to some fear of structural failure but is recovering since it was learned it was unfounded. Same with all types, but the Avid/Foxes have held the line. Of course Jim Chuk , Leni and Buckchop have bought them all up anyway! LOL!

2 people like this

Posted

And remember, almost 40 years ago, Dean Wilson and Dan Denney brought the Super Cub dream down to the level of the common person. Yes, it does have some limitations but a semi bush plane for 10-12 grand, holy cow. And you can still buy or try to buy one of the originals for 15-20K.  (If the three hoarders would sell you one) LOL!  No need to reason why J-3's are still in demand and pricy, too.  People love classics. And the older Avid/Foxes are considered classics by many.

1 person likes this

Posted

U think im bad now only having 3 model 1's, (#21,#38,#48) and im looking at picking up a model 4,80hp 912, But if i ever find some gold here one of these yrs ill b buyin up a lot of them, hahahahaaaa im hooked something bad on the earlie KF, and hooked something bad on flying!!! 

Id love to buy the one Klmt101 has.

I really like when the serial# is 0050 or less. 

Posted

Maybe crazy like a Fox (yeah, I know, sorry pun).

Posted

U think im bad now only having 3 model 1's, (#21,#38,#48) and im looking at picking up a model 4,80hp 912, But if i ever find some gold here one of these yrs ill b buyin up a lot of them, hahahahaaaa im hooked something bad on the earlie KF, and hooked something bad on flying!!! 

Id love to buy the one Klmt101 has.

I really like when the serial# is 0050 or less. 

Mine is Serial number 11 get your check book out Mr. :P

2 people like this