Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice On A Project That's Been Sitting For 27 Years

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, all:

New here;

I recently came across an MK IV project for sale. The wings are done, the gear and tailwheel are complete.

The original 582 Rotax (1992) is mounted and still pickled, and has never been run.

I called Lockwood about zero-timing the engine, and the first question out of his mouth was what ignition system it had, 2 or 4 spark plug.I did not know the answer to that question, as I had assumed it was 4. The worst case scenario is that if it is the old point system, it is basically a boat anchor and unserviceable. If it is a 4 plug system, it'll cost about 3500 dollars to overhaul.

My original hope was to extract value out of the never used engine and upgrade to maybe a 912 or something else, as I wanted to put floats on it. I'm certain that this is not feasible after further deliberation.

So my question is, the guy is asking 6 grand for the project. What do you guys think? Bail out? Still a good deal considering I may be buying an airframe sans engine?

TIA.....

Edited by StoutFlier

Posted

One idea on that engine, (assuming it is a dual ignition one, which is most likely) swap it for a 670, which has 91 horsepower. Rotax Rick did mine, and it was about 3550 plus the 582 for a perfect 670.

Regarding the kit, a big question is how complete the kit is. Instruments and hardware can really mount up in cost. There is a MK IV parts inventory on this site, might want to work with the seller to check it out.

Posted

Isn't that a snowmobile engine?

Would you take that over a R100?

Posted

I see that Rotax Rick has very competitive prices on OH and trade in.

Do you have a 670, nlappos?

Posted

Yes, I installed it about 2 years ago. It has dual ignition, and Rick did a quality job on it. Runs like a top. I really need it, I am at 6000 feet here, and have 11,000 feet DA in the summer.

I posted a bunch about it on a thread, will post the link.

Here is the link to the factory pull sheets for the Mk IV kit:

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/308-factory-pull-sheets-for-mk-iv-taildragger/

Here is the long thread about the 670 install and flight test:

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5734-new-rotax-670-install/

Posted

Thanks so much, nlappos!

I will call Rick tomorrow. As you can see, I have zero experience with Rotax engines. All I know is, I'm not throwing myself behind a 27 yo pickled 2 stroke without an overhaul.

It is very apparent that Rotax Rick is the guy to talk to.

Posted

Any project Avid or fox under 8 thousand is a great deal, Go for it.

1 person likes this

Posted

You certainly don't have to worry about the adhesive in wings not being cured after 27 years.;)

Posted

You certainly don't have to worry about the adhesive in wings not being cured after 27 years.;)

LOL. That's for sure.

Posted

I think all the 582s are dual plug.  The 532 was single plug.

Posted

532/582? 2 or 4 plugs.

Skydrive in the UK used to sell a device for checking the the big ind + small end clearances in one hit.

There advice for a stored engine was to check the clearances after running the engine for 5/10 minutes, then do the std run in as per the manual, then check after.

There should be no change in the measurement.( total internal bearing clearance.

It works by fitting a DTI in one plug hole, that had a connection to a large capacity syringe via a flexible tube. You sucked and blew air from the syringe .i and out of the cylinder using the syringe, and the movement of the piston is detected and measured, giving you the bearing clearances!

Posted

Its not all about the bearings but is worth looking at.  Biggest thing from what ive learned is the end seals get old, brittle, and crack, then u suck air and it becomes a lean condition and burn up the motor.  

532 was single plug points ignition think mostly early ones had that, think in late 80's they started the exchange of a 532 to a 582. 

582 was dual plug, electronic ignition, greyhead or bluehead difference in them was mostly cooling upgrade, 

i think im right, anyone eles have better info, or correct me if im wrong.