Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My new best friend

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I bought a Milwaukee porta band for a side job I'm doing with the knowledge that it would help with the kitfox. Up till now I've been cutting my 4130 with a grinder.  It just made really short work of some .060 4130 without as much noise, burned metal smell, and smoke (especially nice when working in my basement shop) and it did it in about 1/5 the time.

I'm in love.

Knowing what i now know I'd buy it even if I didn't have the side job. 

Edit, I forgot to mention less wasted material. 

20191201_190226.jpg

Edited by Willja67
2 people like this

Posted

They really are handy, especially if you work much with metal.  I have a cheap-o harbor freight one, and when it kicks the bucket, I'm getting the Milwalkee 6" jaw model.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

One of my most favorite tools, have 3 Milwakee ones, one in each shop and one in the service truck.  A definite must have tool!!!

And they make a stand with a workbase to bolt it to so it becomes a vertical bandsaw or a weighted cut bandsaw. 

Edited by Buckchop
Add pic

Posted

The vertical band saw base attachment is the bomb! 

Posted

Well thanks a lot!  I'm now $100 poorer after a trip to Harbor Freight.  I plan to throw together a quick stand for it.  Now every time I need to fabricate a bracket, etc I don't have to wait till I'm at work to use the machine shop.  Should definitely speed things up.

Posted

Here's the initial stand.  The blades are on order and when they come in, I can make something more permanent out of steel but for now this will do.  I plan to bungee the saw to the wood.  I will machine a work base to replace the guide shoe tonight after work.

Bandsaw Holder.jpg

1 person likes this