Tips for removing crank gear on 582?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I need to take my B-box off of one 582 and install it on another. Does anyone have any tips for getting the tapered crank gear off the shaft?

Thanks, Dan

Posted

Call Joe Grahek 231 775-5251, he makes the puller,Half the price of Rotax

Posted

Thanks. I will give him a call.

Posted

I decided to look through some of my old hangar mate's boxes that I inherited and found this:

It looks like he had modified some type of automotive puller. It worked and the gear popped right off. Easier than expected although the gear was only on there for about 6 months this time.

Thanks, Dan

IMG_20191124_163906.jpg

Posted

I have a smaller 3 jaw puller that I've used a number of times.  I've ground the jaws a bit so they fit the gear better and miss the crankcase.  after you have the puller in place, and tightened down, a  bit of heat applied to the gear with a propane torch helps as well.  Safety tip....  be wearing leather gloves when you do it with the heat.  When the gear pops off and goes flying, your first instinct is to catch it.  Then you discover why you should be wearing leather gloves.  Usually you don't make that same mistake the second time.  :lmao: Don't ask me why I know this..... JImChuk