Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tool kit for carrying in the airplane

8 posts in this topic

Posted

So I'm putting together a list of tools and supplies for my 582 powered Kitfox primarily for when I go on short trips and such, but also to keep in the plane. Right now the plane is at a hangar where I can't really leave a set of tools out there to work on it. I want a set that I can do most of whatever I need so I don't have to lug a bunch of tools from my truck. I have an under-seat storage compartment and I think everything except the oil will fit in the compartment.

1.  6-way screwdriver

2.  6" adjustable wrench

3.  Combination wrenches 5/16" - 9/16" &  8 - 14 mm

4.  Spark plug tool (socket and rachet or t-handle, etc)

5. 1/4" drive ratchet and socket set (minimal sockets)

6.  Small safety wire pliers & some safety wire

7.  Cable ties

8. Some allen wrenches

9. tire pressure gauge

10. Electrical tape & Gorilla tape

11. Extra set or 2 of spark plugs

12.  Never-seize 

13. Extra 2-stroke oil

14. Fuel tester

Please let me know if there is something you consider essential that I have not listed.

Posted

Good list. I’d add a pair of spark plugs, silicone rescue tape, assorted zip ties, some insulated wire, thermal wire splices and source of heat to fuse them (lighter?), small multimeter, and some AN hardware. 

Posted

Thought of something else us 2-stroke guys need.

---Exhaust spring tool

2 people like this

Posted

After a few short hops and a few hours you'll know more about what you need to carry and what repairs you need to make in the field and the ones that need it to be brought back to the hangar to complete.  A good preflight and postflight inspection can bring a lot of future problems to light, but you probably already know that. 

Posted

I've never personally used or even seen these things in real life but these were recommended on TeamKitfox.com. It will substitute for a whole set of end wrenches.

Knipex 5" pliers wrench 

61TYSeZxkVL._SY355_.jpg

Posted

---Exhaust spring tool

This one is easy, small, lightweight. I just use a wide shoelace tied in a loop. Thread it through the end of the exhaust spring loop, wrap it around your hand and leverage off of something like the engine mount. It never slips off and gives fine control to take them off or install.

Posted (edited)

---Exhaust spring tool

This one is easy, small, lightweight. I just use a wide shoelace tied in a loop. Thread it through the end of the exhaust spring loop, wrap it around your hand and leverage off of something like the engine mount. It never slips off and gives fine control to take them off or install.

Yep.  I've used zip ties the same way, just prefer the tool because I can use it to push or pull a spring off. Hard to push a shoelace^_^

EDIT:

This is the spring tool I use on my snowmobiles.

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-6639-904-16-inch-exhaust-spring-hook-tool?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-simple&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq97uBRCwARIsADTziybh7uFn3mMY9ePtmXJ7EAyfcbJy6XqLY5-Wl1h98B_CD9Gvrpx4x7kaApn2EALw_wcB

Its too long for carrying in the under seat storage but I'll buy a similar shorter one for taking in the airplane.

Edited by 109jb

Posted

An extra exhaust spring or two is a good idea for longer trips.  I broke one in flight and got to ride back to the home airport at -30F for an hour with the door open.  If I would have had an extra spring I could have set it down and replaced it..  A few wraps of safety wire would probably do it as well, but the springs really dont weigh much or take up much room in the tool bag.

:BC: