New Member from Alaska

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Just a quick introduction as I am not an Avid or Fox owner (yet). I live up in Alaska, did my primary flight training just this past summer and finished my instrument rating back in October and now looking for a plane to do more of what I want and build some skills in for an affordable price. No tail wheel time as of yet but will be coming shortly then on to floats so I can fully open up my backyard more to go explore in. Looking forward to learning more from y'all here and hopefully joining you in ownership.

John

Posted

Hi John,  welcome to the group.  There are a number of other fairly active builders and flyers on this group from your state.  Seen your post about the Avid in Texas, and although I'm not available to have a look at it, I will say that if it's a speed wing, it will have a very hard time doing what you want.  That is, going to floats eventually.  Hope it all works out though and you end up with your plane.  I've flown my one Avid about 550 hrs, and I had 3 others over the years and can say they are a lot of fun.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Howdy John,

Where abouts in AK are ya?  I might be in the mood to make a good deal for my Avid.  26" bushwheels and skis.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Howdy John,

Where abouts in AK are ya?  I might be in the mood to make a good deal for my Avid.  26" bushwheels and skis.

Mr. Perry, I replied to your PM. Would definitely be interested in your Avid. Always better to go for a known quantity than a wildcard. At the very least would like to meet up at some point. I'm in Anchorage for now, but moving to a place on Wolf Lake in Wasilla hopefully this coming summer.

Thanks for the warm welcome JimChuk, glad to finally be on here. The wing was one of the first things I asked about. But hopefully Mr. Perry and I can work something out. 

Posted

Wait a second..  wouldn't that leave our founding father (of AFF) without an Avid/Fox?!

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe he still has the Catalina???  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Howdy John,

Mr. Perry, I replied to your PM. Would definitely be interested in your Avid. Always better to go for a known quantity than a wildcard. At the very least would like to meet up at some point. I'm in Anchorage for now, but moving to a place on Wolf Lake in Wasilla hopefully this coming summer.

Thanks for the warm welcome JimChuk, glad to finally be on here. The wing was one of the first things I asked about. But hopefully Mr. Perry and I can work something out. 

Randy, (suberavid) has a hangar on Wolfe Lake and knows these machines inside and out.  

For the fun factor its pretty damn hard to beat these birds and you might be pretty surprised what you can haul in them.  I have had some pretty uhhh,... questionable loads in mine :lmao:  They are not a cub, but they will beat a Tcrate.  I flew side by side with a buddy in his 100 HP tcrate and outperformed him in every way.   Now that I am back on a computer I will reply to your PM.  My phone was having issues letting me type.

Yes I will keep the amphib no matter what!

Posted

Wait a second..  wouldn't that leave our founding father (of AFF) without an Avid/Fox?!

Hey now, don't put me out of an opportunity!

And sounds like he's got it covered. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Howdy John,

Randy, (suberavid) has a hangar on Wolfe Lake and knows these machines inside and out.  

For the fun factor its pretty damn hard to beat these birds and you might be pretty surprised what you can haul in them.  I have had some pretty uhhh,... questionable loads in mine :lmao:  They are not a cub, but they will beat a Tcrate.  I flew side by side with a buddy in his 100 HP tcrate and outperformed him in every way.   Now that I am back on a computer I will reply to your PM.  My phone was having issues letting me type.

Yes I will keep the amphib no matter what!

I'll look Randy up, hoping to start construction on my place once breakup is over so I can get out of Anchorage asap. 

Replying to your PM now. Sounds like you've put them to the test. Impressive compared to the tcart and what people are asking for them with the 85hp motors. 

Posted

Hey John,

Welcome aboard and glad to have you coming to Wolf Lake.  PM me when you get a chance and we can get together to go fly.  Mine is a slightly enlarged fuselage than an Avid MKIV but still flies very similar so you can get an idea what they are like if you haven't had a chance to fly in one.  It will be great to have a new AFF neighbor out here!

Randy

Posted (edited)

Me and my son visited Randy in Wolf Lake this passed summer, what an awesome place!! if i wasnt in Ester Ak id b looking for a place there!!! As me and my wife was lookin for Randy's place i was checkin out empty lots for sale!!! Hahahahaaaa 

So mayb ill c u around there too next time im down that way for the Palmer Fair. 

Randy, next time its my turn to buy us all lunch buddy!!!!!!!!

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey John,

Welcome aboard and glad to have you coming to Wolf Lake.  PM me when you get a chance and we can get together to go fly.  Mine is a slightly enlarged fuselage than an Avid MKIV but still flies very similar so you can get an idea what they are like if you haven't had a chance to fly in one.  It will be great to have a new AFF neighbor out here!

Randy

Randy,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it and gathering everything to get started on the hangar house this summer! I'll shoot you a PM here now. Looking forward to seeing your setup and how she performs. 

John