About to buy this MK4... your advice please!

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Were you planning the rx1 in this?

If so here is a member that was doing that on his MK4.  Might give some insight on that undertaking:

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted (edited)

Yes, that would be the plan. I will check the link you provided.

Edited by Supermotive
added content.

Posted

EBA8745F-55BC-4C9C-A615-CE7F9DD534E6.jpeg

78B40B68-3ED5-41B2-AA01-43849FE3089B.jpeg

74B04B63-3EBD-42D2-BCE2-EA0E0C710AEE.jpeg

F6843FE8-0A23-4A76-869C-8D6DADAC3235.jpeg

07DB33B9-CD3C-4C6D-9347-7D5AE828EF96.jpeg

9F83B2D1-233E-4BDF-801E-926053D86289.jpeg

749D4EA6-4168-49E5-A0E7-DDCAD5F65D67.jpeg

26F22ACD-B32A-43BC-975B-D639161A5306.jpeg

D1689429-A67C-4B73-B300-C46A53528742.jpeg

B6AB5CAC-EA1F-4733-AEF1-A04ECF545F4D.jpeg

0B34267E-96FD-456D-A97C-6A67124BCAC0.jpeg

F1D13F41-39FD-409B-8280-19FB79C0A96F.jpeg

375DFB25-E12C-4020-8B46-10D1E45E3583.jpeg

ED886643-7920-4CCE-9E50-F499DBB782E1.jpeg

4CB5000F-FD42-4801-851E-661896517B85.jpeg

49EB0691-57DF-48AF-9648-6C9D177D583C.jpeg

CF6501DE-66F2-4C01-8A95-822E7E9D98DE.jpeg

B93B56E1-E532-49E2-83B8-79FBC551C878.jpeg

6010D745-1282-45CE-A6D9-5C71B05B0880.jpeg

D5FD4808-8F98-442A-A464-B47F1472F93B.jpeg

Posted

How does this thing look? It seems there is a lot missing for $8500. I think he may have been selling it for $5000 a couple years back in Reno. There is no serial number anywhere. A lot of the parts seem used. There is some surface rust in corners. I know this thing was outside for some time. I don’t mind a project but I do not want to get burnt.  Thoughts?

Posted

How does this thing look? It seems there is a lot missing for $8500. I think he may have been selling it for $5000 a couple years back in Reno. There is no serial number anywhere. A lot of the parts seem used. There is some surface rust in corners. I know this thing was outside for some time. I don’t mind a project but I do not want to get burnt.  Thoughts?

Only one fuel tank? is that right?

Posted

Here are a few things I noticed.  The wood ribs are speed wing ribs.  I can tell by the way the extended rib tails are shaped.  The plane has Kitfox wheels, not that that is bad, I put a set on my Avid so I could used the 8" Nancos.  The flaperon mixer is from a Kitfox.  When I first saw it, I thought it didn't look right for an Avid, and so found a picture of mine before I painted it during the rebuild.  As far as the one fuel tank, lots of times the Speed wing only has one tank, but it holds 18 gallons if my memory is right.  On the plus side, it is a MK IV, sometimes people claim they are when they aren't.  I see the tabs welded on for the luggage compartment, and also the extra gusseting on the rear spar carry through that came on the MK IV but wasn't on earlier models.  JImChuk

Photo1009.jpg

Photo0445.jpg

Posted

Seems like a lot of money for a kit with a lot of missing parts. Most parts are used and no paperwork. What do you think this thing is worth?

Posted (edited)

Not really the answer you are looking for, but it's worth what ever he can get at least one guy to pay for it.  Myself, I would not want the speed wings, Kitfox has 2' more wing then the long wing Avids, and the speed wing is 6' feet shorter then the long wing Avid.  On the other hand, there aren't many kits up for sale, and nobody is making any new ones like this either.  That tends to favor the seller.  Lots of want a be bush pilots are watching Trent and guys like him on youtube, and want to get in on the fun.  That also helps the seller.  Guess it all depends on how bad you want it.  Patience is a virtue I'm told, there are always deals that come along. The key is being able to recognize them and jump on them before some one else does when it happens.   Rereading this, I wondered if I sounded like a politician.  Lots of words, not may answers....:lmao:  :rolleyes:JImChuk

PS  looking again at the mixer, and wonder how that will work???  Not saying it wont, but it may very well cause some problems

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you Jim. Yes the mixer bothers me. It is not Avid, rather, it is a used Kitfox system. ???  I don’t know if you know this, but you tried to contact this guy before when he was selling an Avid in Reno. The price was $5k at the time. 

On another note, if I strike a deal with this guy, where dan I get parts? I know I would need a lot, and I don’t want to buy “less than safe” parts. I am trying to count the cost and see if this is worth it. Thanks. 

By by the way, are you and YammaFox the only ones on this forum? I never see a lot of dialogue. 

Posted

The forum always get quieter in the off season.

I say pass on that one.

Posted (edited)

Thanks brother. I thought of a low offer just to see if there is a point where it might be worth it, but we’ll see. Maybe $5k??? I am not sure. I have my reservations. 

Edited by Supermotive
Added content

Posted (edited)

We recently brought one back from Pa. to WVA. that was complete and marginally flyable. Buddy paid 7500 for the model 2 Kitfox, including a spare 582 engine. I inspected the airframe for him and it was a sound airframe with all paperwork. Just needed some cosmetic work, a few hoses replaced and clean-up to be a safe flyable plane. So good deals are out there, not everywhere, but they do come around now and then. Or at least I considered it a good deal. The older Avid/Foxes on the market are drying up lately. And what few is available are raising in price.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Thanks Allen. Do you think there is a price where one would say "at that price, buy it you cant lose" I know $8500 is certainly not that price.

Posted (edited)

Its hard to put a exact figure on something like that. But a complete kit would normally be 5K to 7K with proof of sale paperwork. Engine, prop, etc. would be the higher side maybe more. And for me, how far away is it, expense of getting it home, A flyable, good condition aircraft (older Avid/Fox) will normally bring 15K + or - depending on engine, hrs, equip. etc. Consider the price of kits bought new today pushing 15-20K for a fat ultralight and 5-7K doesn't seem too outlandish. The final straw is how bad you want it and how much work you are willing to do. Some wouldn't fly a two stroke engine if it was give to them and some want the benefits of a two stroke above all else. Add up all the little stuff that is needed to finish the kit and sometimes a flyable one is a better way. If one is looking for a cheap way to start flying, then moving up, then building from a kit probably isn't the easy way. A person with a love of building might find its the best to build what he wants to begin with. A few of us on this site, Jim, me and several others are just crazy to begin with. For the time, money and energy we spend or spent building, we could have had a new model 7. But look at what we might have missed or not learned.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Thank you everyone. Lots of wisdom here.

Posted

Allen, thanks for the complement!   :lmao:I have fun with it, and that's enough for me.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Its hard to put a exact figure on something like that. But a complete kit would normally be 5K to 7K with proof of sale paperwork. Engine, prop, etc. would be the higher side maybe more. And for me, how far away is it, expense of getting it home, A flyable, good condition aircraft (older Avid/Fox) will normally bring 15K + or - depending on engine, hrs, equip. etc. Consider the price of kits bought new today pushing 15-20K for a fat ultralight and 5-7K doesn't seem too outlandish. The final straw is how bad you want it and how much work you are willing to do. Some wouldn't fly a two stroke engine if it was give to them and some want the benefits of a two stroke above all else. Add up all the little stuff that is needed to finish the kit and sometimes a flyable one is a better way. If one is looking for a cheap way to start flying, then moving up, then building from a kit probably isn't the easy way. A person with a love of building might find its the best to build what he wants to begin with. A few of us on this site, Jim, me and several others are just crazy to begin with. For the time, money and energy we spend or spent building, we could have had a new model 7. But look at what we might have missed or not learned.

I've seen Allen's work and his current KF II.  It's going to be a really nice little flyer.

But I've been thinking, given the challenges as well as expenses, they're enough to make one (me at least) consider to seek out or start a flying club.  You might not be on a tight budget however as I so all the following possibly a mute point. But, my home field has a J3 Cub Club, buying a share (one is available) is less than the cost of a 582/drive/prop assembly plus $100 a month plus fuel. I'm tempted to jump in given someone has his his share up for sale. For many a flying club makes economical sense.  I recently attended an AOPA seminar on this topic (https://www.aopa.org/community/flying-clubs/flying-club-resources). They offer lots of support.  Check out Barnstormers, for eg there are several Tcrafts on the market in the $15k neighborhood.  5 or 6 people in on this - that's cheap flying!  Further, operable under the less strident LSA rule making flying even more economical than operating their own amateur built experimental. I've not even delved into your expense getting the requisite DAR sign-off for a project such as the one you've considered. Then, your insurance policy and on and on.  Another thought if you have an active EAA chap in your area is to join and and get others involved with your project. Lot's of possibilities going down that road. Btw, having owned and operated a Tcraft BC12D, I can tell you the insurance premiums were nearly 1/2 what they were for my Avid.  

So, as I begin the repair work on my Model C I hard landed/crashed, I'm likely going to join the club that I mentioned just to keep from getting rusty and to have a little fun. Who knows, I soon might not want my project anymore having found that the club suits my needs and put the C on the market.  Stay tuned.  Just thought I'd throw some more ideas out there over my cup of coffee. Thanks for reading.

Paul in Winchester

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Check out Barnstormers, for eg there are several Tcrafts on the market in the $15k neighborhood.  5 or 6 people in on this - that's cheap flying!  Further, operable under the less strident LSA rule making flying even more economical than operating their own amateur built experimental.

You can fly a Tcraft under sport pilot rules but it is a certified airplane, not an LSA.

Posted

Seems like a lot of money for a kit with a lot of missing parts. Most parts are used and no paperwork. What do you think this thing is worth?

FWIW, I posted the factory kit pull sheets (parts lists) for Avid Mk-IV and Avid Plus, KF3, KF4-1050 and KF4-1200 in their respective forums if you want to confirm exactly what's missing. Many folks are surprised at just how many parts there are in the complete kits.

2 people like this

Posted

Check out Barnstormers, for eg there are several Tcrafts on the market in the $15k neighborhood.  5 or 6 people in on this - that's cheap flying!  Further, operable under the less strident LSA rule making flying even more economical than operating their own amateur built experimental.

You can fly a Tcraft under sport pilot rules but it is a certified airplane, not an LSA.

Hmmmm...........I wonder what I was thinking?

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/ExistingModels.pdf 

1 person likes this

Posted

It can be confusing. LSA is a class of aircraft, GA certified or experimental, as long as it meets the requirements of the LSA rules. Cubs, Champs, T-crafts, and so qualify. One reason the price is increasing on those birds. Us old farts are not getting any younger. And most young whippersnappers want to go fast.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks everyone! I don’t think I will buy it. I can get a good deal on a Just Aircraft, and I think they are pretty well refined planes. 

1 person likes this

Posted

It can be confusing. LSA is a class of aircraft, GA certified or experimental, as long as it meets the requirements of the LSA rules. Cubs, Champs, T-crafts, and so qualify. One reason the price is increasing on those birds. Us old farts are not getting any younger. And most young whippersnappers want to go fast.

Well exactly.  A DAR stated this to me long-ago. Didn't think I was misinterpreting it.  It's a great rule I must say.

Ahhhhh........the Just!  Excellent choice Supermotive.  For me this airframe with a more conventional non reduction drive air-cooled motor such as a Lycoming would be very very nice.  I'd also consider a Jab 3300 or Wynn Corvair.  Rock solid all.