Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale vw cowling

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Wanted Airdale VW Cowling. Got to be one laying around somewhere.

Edited by Neil

Posted

My cowling on my fox would probably work with a VW engine since it is somewhat larger than the standard factory cowl. Maybe better luck than finding one from a VW powered Avid/Fox. Might be more Subaru powered Avids out there than VW powered ones. Just a thought since my cowling is longer than a two week payday. Rumor was that a VW wasn't a good match on an Avid/Fox so not many were used in the years back. The factory pushed Rotax engines in the heyday.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jerry's [old] Airdale Aircraft Co.'s Airdale light sport model was designed around a Subaru FWF. There were only a handful of kits delivered and I would eat a shoe if anyone put a VW on one.

2 people like this

Posted

Allen are you saying your fox cowling is for sale? If so is it the round cowling? My Avid came with a Subaru cowling that will not work. To narrow in the front.

Posted

Mine is not for sale. The Kitfox bump cowl is a little wider in the front. The only way I'd sell the cowling is if the rest of the airplane went with it.

1 person likes this

Posted

My Avid came with a Subaru cowling that will not work. To narrow in the front.

Can you cut out the part of the cowl that hits the engine, and refiberglass back in so it misses?  Might be faster and probably  cheaper then trying to get a new cowl.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That's one option. Your right about that. I don't have the engine mounted yet.  Been working on the gear and fire wall. Once I get the engine mounted I can then see what needs to be done to Sub cowl to make it work. In the meantime something may pop up. Thanks !!