Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRz

Or this? I don't mind an snap or two!

Posted

They both look nice!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Beautiful aircraft, both of them. Love to have one, just don't want to pay alimony to one. Expensive, even just sitting in the hangar. Think I'll stay with the lower-end priced machines. My old model 2 may not be the fastest, the most comfortable, or the real McCoy bush plane, but I can afford to fly it and maintain it. Maybe a little more attention needs to be paid on landing, but easier to do than writing big checks. And I am an A&P (former IA) so that cuts out a lot of expense when owning a GA machine. A guy today flew in in a 180K Carbon Cub, and the ironic thing is, he wants a Kitfox! I use to think the Super Cub was the perfect aircraft, till I got a good look at a Bearhawk patrol LSA.  30mph stall and 120 cruise speed. But a pain to build and a chunk of cash outlay. (have to go pet the fox now). Gotta love an Avid/Fox!

2 people like this

Posted

Scouts are great birds.  Comfortable to sit in, easy to fly and perform pretty damn well.  It all come downs to your mission.  As pointed out above, the cost of maintenance and repairs on certified birds are generally drastically more than we pay on the EAB planes.  Parts cost alone are a major portion of that.  

My main missions have changed making it prudent for me to get a plane more capable of hauling a load and ranging out a bit further.  The pacer does not have the sex appeal the Scout does, but it does the job I need it to much better and at a very low price point.  A 912 powered fox or Avid is selling for more than a good used pacer.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Everybody has a mission for their plane, and needs that plane to do it. If I had a hangar or my own strip, then I'd have a different view of what I want. Experimental aircraft are getting above some GA aircraft, price wise anyhow, So its not all about money anymore. Lets face it, we all need at least 2 aircraft.

2 people like this

Posted

I know my way around planes. Worked/slaved at an FBO in the late 80's. I have enough hrs to get my license to wrench, but I have a friend that is a duster pilot and an AI on the side. So what would be the point?

I have 2 hrs in a Scout. I liked it. I need a few more I guess. I have several hrs in a Citabria. It was a worn out 115hp dog and I still had fun.

I have the money to spend. Both planes are within 30 grand of each other, the Scout being the most, but also has the most hours (1150), more complex, more expensive to fly...

The Citabria has 150hrs TT and 160hp. That is what hooked me.

And I know, these two are no replacement nor are they even close to performance KitFox/Avid planes provide. I never was comparing them to these two. I guess I like American Champion.

My Avid is not for sale!!! :flamegun:

Posted

Everybody has a mission for their plane, and needs that plane to do it. If I had a hangar or my own strip, then I'd have a different view of what I want. Experimental aircraft are getting above some GA aircraft, price wise anyhow, So its not all about money anymore. Lets face it, we all need at least 2 aircraft.

Three. STOL, cross country, aerobatics!!!

Next I will look for a Mooney!!! :lmao:

Posted

Everyone has in their mind exactly what STOL means to them. Not the same for everybody. Case in point, look how some of the kit providers call their kits STOL aircraft.  But our mission sometimes changes midstream when we least expect it for whatever reason. I loved my challenger, it took off short, flew great, and landed short. Plus the glide ratio was unbelievable. I could shut the engine down on downwind, shoot a normal pattern, still have to slip and eat my lunch at the same time to get down. But, after losing 2 hangars in the winds, folding wings were the only option for me. So the Fox was the only option. Kolb said easy wing fold, but every video I seen showed at least 2 people doing it. The Avid/Fox is a true one person folding system. Now its stored at home in the barn. Maybe it will become a pain in the #@* to transport to the strip (6 miles) but we do what we have to do.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes but it takes me 2 1/2 hrs to get there from here and 55 mins. to fly it

Posted

Yes but it takes me 2 1/2 hrs to get there from here and 55 mins. to fly it

I've seen the way you drive!  But flying is a way better option!

Posted

I have time in both and think they are both fantastic aircraft. I ferried a brand new 7GCBC on scout gear and 29” tires from the factory, down and around the Rocky Mountains, then up the other side (due to a winter storm). Other than getting tossed due to shear and mountain  wave turbulence, i loved the way it flew. First one out of the factory with that gear combo and tires. I thought it was a great compromise between the two. 

1 person likes this