582 to 912 questions

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a Kitfox IV with a 582 and warp drive prop and am thinking about what I want to do when it comes time for the 582 to be overhauled. It is actually past the 5 year limit already. I'm thinking about keeping my eyes open for a 912 nearby and doing an engine swap. So that brings up a couple questions:

1. roughly what should I expect as far as the airplane weight difference goes between the 582 and the 912 installations. 

2. Would the Warp Drive prop I have be suitable for use on the 912 or am I looking at needing a different prop. I'm not sure on diameter but it has HPL hub, 3 blades, and reduction ratio in the 582 is 3:1

Posted

prop turns the other way on the 912 I think.  I am not sure the weight difference, but from everything I have read they all say its worth it.

Posted

Yes prop spins wrong way to re-use. And definitely worth converting to 912!!!!!!!!!

Posted

582  with gear box uses a left hand prop, 912 is right hand...(in tractor application)  JImChuk

Posted

OK did some digging on the internet and it seems it would be somewhere about 30 lbs weight gain, plus the cost of a new prop or at least new blades.

Posted

I don't know where you are located, but I have a Fat Avid with a 912 in good flying condition. My friend's MKIV with 912 out performs mine considerably and mine is no slouch.

If you are in the area (Tri Cities, Washington State) I'd be happy to take you for a ride and you could see for yourself before committing to the conversion. My friend with the 912 MKIV would also be happy for you to test drive.

Posted

I don't know where you are located, but I have a Fat Avid with a 912 in good flying condition. My friend's MKIV with 912 out performs mine considerably and mine is no slouch.

If you are in the area (Tri Cities, Washington State) I'd be happy to take you for a ride and you could see for yourself before committing to the conversion. My friend with the 912 MKIV would also be happy for you to test drive.

Thanks.  I'm actually just looking toward the future for my 1050. I have access to a Kitfox IV 1200 that has an 80 hp 912 up front, and have actually flown it a couple times. I know that the performance isn't an issue. It is really a matter of weight gain because with my current useful load I can take 2 guys my size (a little too fat:o), 1/2 fuel, and no baggage, and I wanted to know how much a 912 conversion would eat into that. 

With that said, from what I have read, there were only a few modifications that were done to the airframe to raise the gross weight to 1200 lbs. I am considering one of 2 routes toward raising my airplane's max gross weight to 1200 lbs legally. If I do it then the weight gain would not be a big issue at all. 

Posted

You won't regret the conversion. My Fat Avid is 1250 gross, 700 empty. I have seen MKIV's (1150 gross)  in the 630 empty range with a 912. Every pound makes a difference! I've also seen a MKIV with 912 weigh in same as my Fat Avid at 700.

Posted

The real problem you are going to run into is finding an engine mount. I just sold my 912 firewall forward and they are just something you don't find anymore. You might email Mark at Avid and see what he is able to help you with. You may be able to modify your cowl. The oil cooler is another thing that will needs made. They really stuff those things in there. 

Posted

The real problem you are going to run into is finding an engine mount. I just sold my 912 firewall forward and they are just something you don't find anymore. You might email Mark at Avid and see what he is able to help you with. You may be able to modify your cowl. The oil cooler is another thing that will needs made. They really stuff those things in there. 

avid mounts are easy, I have made a few of them and have good jigs.  But he has a KF so he can probably get one straight from KF, however, I have heard reports of them being a pain to use and needed to be modified.  On an avid you have to extend the cowl around 2" to go from a 582 to 912.  I have seen it done with fiberglass and just an aluminum strip rivet in.  Lots of ways to skin this cat.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a spare Kitfox 912 mount.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but looking at the factory catalog, Kitfoxes prices for a new one don't seem excessive.  JImChuk

Posted

When it comes time I can probably just order an engine mount from Kitfox, or else just fire up the tig and make one. I have an airplane available to measure off of and use for a "template" for installation. I'm going to fly it with the 582 until I find a good deal near enough on a 912.