Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid MK IV 582 Motor Mount Needed

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone,

looks like my mount had a small crack in it and it finally gave out while towing it home. See the pics. I have the mount in the shop looking to get a cost to repair. I would like to see if anyone has a mount for sale, just so I have options in case the shop wants an arm and a leg. Please let me know, 

Thanks

IMG_9774.JPG

IMG_9814.JPG

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

Posted

I have one that is in better shape then yours, but I better get a look at it and some pictures before I say much more.... JImChuk

Posted

That would be great, the FAA certified welding shop guys wanted $1,200.00 for the repair. Real great guys over at Loree Air, but just a bit to costly for me. Please let me know what you come up with. 

Posted

$1200! Holy Cow, I guess I didn't do as bad as I thought. Rental on two tanks, a few feet of tubing and a couple days work, and total was less than $400 for a completely new mount including the engine plate. Oh! don't forget a box of Band-Aids and a pair of new socks. No! Don't ask.

1 person likes this

Posted

Its a homebuilt so it doesn't have to be welded by any certified weld repair station.  Their quote is just a way of saying we aren't interested in this piddly job.

Ask around and find out who in your area is a job-shop welder with good TIG welding skills and they should have no problem and it should be cheap. Ask guys who do car stuff. they will know someone. Also, do you belong to an EAA chapter? EAA chapters are a good source for people that can do a variety of things. The repair that part needs is simple for someone who knows how to weld. I know that is the problem many times but finding someone who can weld should not be that hard.

The way I would normally fix a tube would be an internal sleeve repair with rosette welds along with the weld around the break. For that geometry though, the stud will prevent an internal sleeve, so I would first get it back in shape, weld the fracture completely, dress that weld, and then make an external sleeve/reinforcement to weld on the outside. Because of the way it is bent, check the other side for cracks too. 

If you were near me I'd repair it for some chit chat and a beer.

Posted

Run a reamer inside the tubes to clean up the ID and use an internal sleeve.  Pretty sure I would cut the other side as well at this point and do the same on it as its been bent.  

Like 109 above I would do the repair during a good BS session and a bottle of Captain.  1200 to fix that is nothing short of rape with some sand on it.  Hell I can have a 180 mount reconditioned for less than that.

Posted

Yeah if the stud doesn't protrude into the ID of the main horizontal tube, then the internal sleeve is still the way to go. Do the same to both sides as the other side is obviously bent too.

Posted

This is the mount I have, don't remember seeing those studs like you have on any of my other Avids, what bolts to them?  The only damage I see on my mount is the two kinked tubes....  Pretty easy fix for the right person.  JImChuk

avid mount 2.jpg

avid mount 4.jpg

avid mount 5.jpg