Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanted VW engine Cowling for Avid C model

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

WANT TO BUY: A VW  Cowling for my Avid H H. If you know of someone that had or has this combination would you do me a favor and let them know about this ad. I would like to talk to them.  Thank You Neil Rupp 419-5511812

Edited by Neil

Posted

VW engines don't work well on these planes.. it has been tried.

Posted

I had an Avid C model with a VW and it worked great. It has to be built right and have the right Prop. Prince prop is the best combination for the VW.  It's still flying. So the VW can work. Neil

Posted

Neil, what was the model type, empty weight and gross weight of that VW Avid? I think that's what AK meant.

1 person likes this

Posted

Neil, what was the model type, empty weight and gross weight of that VW Avid? I think that's what AK meant.

Indeed, I'm presently researching, studying, observing this topic.  I want to get away from the narrower operating spectrum of 2 stroke pwr and into a wider (safer) operating envelope of 4 stroke power on my Avid Mdl C HH.  That end may require substantial airframe mods which might not be feasible for this airframe.  Maybe it's time to move on from it.

Posted

Model C with HH wings. The VW was 80 HP I know it's not going to preform like a 912 but it did preform well. Prince prop was the best combination for that engine. The engine was built by Great Plains Aircraft. I don't remember the empty weight. The VW weighs 180 lbs. Yes the 912 is the best bet if one can afford it.

1 person likes this

Posted

If one has the stretched fuselage, that would help somewhat with the extra weight on the nose and CG issues.  I believe Neil's current project has the stretched fuselage.   If the engine is reliable, and you aren't looking for maximum performance, I suppose the VW would work ok.   May not have a lot of extra usable load or performance, but maybe that's not an issue in every case.  JImChuk

Posted

Well put Jim..

Posted

Well here goes. I am saddened by folks who spend months putting automotive boat anchors in the nose of their sweet Avids.

I don't know, guys. My 670 ($3500 from Rotax Rick, swapped for a 582, and a literally easy drop in on the existing mounts) delivers over 90 horses, and weighs 10 lbs more than a 582. With Fitt gear and some fun doodads I have 600 lbs of useful load on my MK IV.

The "reliability" of a 4 stroke has lots of words, and I can see the forced landings on you tube to prove it is internet yahoo. The data I have seen from what is real says the 2 strokes and 4 strokes have similar reliability, especially if you factor in removing one passenger from your airplane as a result of putting a heavy car engine in your Avid. The Australians take this stuff seriously, and their data says Rotax has almost the same reliability as Continental and Lycoming.

If I were going to put 180 lbs of engine in my airplane, I'd put 140 lbs of Yamaha at 130+ HP and zoom off into the sunset. In fact maybe next year I will!

1 person likes this

Posted

Most engines, 2 stroke or 4 stroke don't fail. They are murdered! Plain and simple.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

This isn't the first Avid I've installed a VW. I had good success with the last one and it would haul two people around with no problem. That was in 2003 when I sold it and it's still going. I've decided to do it all over.

My first Avid that had a upside down 582 and had 2 engine outs. That's when I decided to go with a VW. There quite a few VW's flying here in Ohio.

So if you know of anyone that may have a VW  cowling for an Avid let me know and I'll see if he wants to sell it. Thank You for your interest in this post. Neil

Edited by Neil
1 person likes this

Posted

Most engines, 2 stroke or 4 stroke don't fail. They are murdered! Plain and simple.

Absolutely true, and the best murder method, facts show, is letting too much air into the gas tanks.

1 person likes this