Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wash fabric?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I did a bit of covering work last winter, which I then wrapped and covered,but quite a bit of dust got in anyway. Pretty windy here.  Would it be ok to wash with soap and water and rinse it before I put on the Poly brush?

Posted

If you do wash it, which I would say is probably fine, I would also do a quick final clean with C-2210 poly fiber surface cleaner.  That would get any grease off, as well as any soap residue I'm guessing.  I painted a Kitfox 3 last summer that had sat for maybe 5 years or so after it had the first coat of poly brush applied, and it was kind of dirty, and had some oil stains on it.  I cleaned it with the C-2210 and had no problems with later coats.   JImChuk

Posted

The KF3 I'm painting now sat with bare Ceconite for a few years. It was dirty. I washed with diluted Simple Green and rinsed twice, then wiped with PPG Degreaser and PPG Multi-Prep. Latex primer went on fine, have had to flood a few pinholes when spraying the topcoats.

Posted

Thanks, you make a good point. The big concern, however, is with corrosion between lapped joints and rivets on aluminum skinned aircraft. I'm not terribly worried using a diluted solution wiped on fabric and rinsed well in this instance. YMMV.