Fly-in

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Went to a fly-in yesterday and approx. 43 aircraft showed up. 90% of them fat tire bush planes. Was nice to see the turn out for a small grass field airpark. Of course, mention free food to pilots and they decend like vultures. LOL!

2 people like this

Posted

Free food will only delay the $100.00 dollar hamburger for a weekend. I know pilots that will burn a tank of fuel for a greasy spoon burger every chance they get when the weather is nice.

Posted

I always believed that there are aviators and there are pilots. Pilots can fly an aircraft, aviators are just in love with flying!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey my first post on any site. Allen it was good to see you show up for the picnic. It was a great turn out. Hopefully I'll get that yellow model c tuned in and in the airport soon.

Posted

Hey my first post on any site. Allen it was good to see you show up for the picnic. It was a great turn out. Hopefully I'll get that yellow model c tuned in and in the airport soon.

you'll get it! You've come this far and have a good looking bird. I was kind of surprised at the number of fat tires at the fly-in. 

Posted

Got my hundred dollar hamburger at the Toiyabe Cafe in Austin NV this last Saturday. Free courtesy car at the airport. Needed it, airport 5 miles from town.

1 person likes this

Posted

Got my hundred dollar hamburger at the Toiyabe Cafe in Austin NV this last Saturday. Free courtesy car at the airport. Needed it, airport 5 miles from town.

I would have recommended flying in to the Elkader, Iowa airport with it's interesting hilltop turf strip of 1705 feet of length and then catching a ride the 16 miles or so to eat a Gunderburger at a tiny hole in the wall bar called the Irish Shanty. The only problem is the city of Gunder is so small there are not enough people to work the restaurant and they decided to shut down the kitchen until further notice. I don't think the Guinness beer on tap is enough to sustain them and I fear one of my favorite burgers will be gone forever.

https://kwwl.com/news/2019/06/04/irish-shanty-home-of-the-gunderburger-closing-kitchen-service/