Strip it the rest of the way down?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I going to be listening to it oil can right above my head if I take it out? I can imagine that would be disconcerting and highly irritating. If so that's a good reason for leaving it but with my plan to sit in the middle i can only just put a finger between my head and that brace and that's without a headset. 

I guess another way around it would be to leave it off, and if the skylight flops up and down much, you could put two, each off to the side so you have the headroom in the center.  Another thing you could perhaps do is buy a custom skylight, and gain maybe 3" in the center if you don't hit the steel tubes with your head.   Have a look at this site.  JImChuk

https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/skylights.htm

Posted (edited)

Am I going to be listening to it oil can right above my head if I take it out? I can imagine that would be disconcerting and highly irritating. If so that's a good reason for leaving it but with my plan to sit in the middle i can only just put a finger between my head and that brace and that's without a headset. 

I guess another way around it would be to leave it off, and if the skylight flops up and down much, you could put two, each off to the side so you have the headroom in the center.  Another thing you could perhaps do is buy a custom skylight, and gain maybe 3" in the center if you don't hit the steel tubes with your head.   Have a look at this site.  JImChuk

https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/skylights.htm

Those are some good ideas Jim. I did build a little contraption to test out my idea. I cut 2 butt ribs and screwed my old lexan transparency to them to see how floppy it was in the middle.  My build was really sloppy so it ended up more line a saddle at the trailing edge which I'm sure adversely affected the stiffness, but I think it will be more floppy than I want. 

Did have one idea though inspired by Dhollys comment on the turtle deck. 

what if I make a new bent aluminum angle but peaked in the middle? It would add stiffness to both the lexan and the turtle deck and it would give me even more head room. 

I was going to make a new  turtle deck anyway, i was going to get rid of the windows and the hinge in the middle of it just to save a couple ounces. I was worried about stiffness, rightly so as Dhollys comment indicates, but this might just solve that with a minimum of weight and complexity. 

20190927_221232.jpg

Edited by Willja67