Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got a call from Edmo

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  I had a call from Ed this evening.  He said he wanted to say hi to everyone on the group, and to say thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.  He said that after the radiation treatments he is now cancer free, but is still very weak and has a hard time eating.  His computer went belly up, I asked if he was able to use one if he had it, and he wasn't sure.  I know he misses going on the forum.   I wonder if his wife or daughter could get one up and going if some one had an older but useable one collecting dust.  I would help with the shipping on it.  Maybe just the tower would be all that's needed if he has a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.   Was nice to hear from him, sad what age does to us all.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

You can pickup a reasonable laptop for between $300 and $500 at Best Buy. I'd be willing to donate $100 toward a new one if we could figure out how to make that process work.I really miss seeing Ed's posts!

Posted

Likewise on the donation and missing Ed!

Posted

count me in for 100.

Posted

This is great news and it would be nice to get him back, I'd be willing to chip in 

Posted (edited)

I wonder if I should call him and talk to his wife or someone to see if they can get it set up for him.  I do have his address, but maybe some more investigation is in order before we send him one.  That sure is nice of you guys to offer to help him out though how ever it goes.  JImChuk

PS  I did put in a call to him just now and had to leave a message.

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I got a call back from Ed a little while ago.  He told me to tell everyone on this group thank you for all the prayers and well wishes.  It seemed that he was really happy with the offers of help in acquiring a computer.  I'm sure it made him feel good that people were concerned about him and were willing to step up and help improve his situation.  He did say that he is real weak though, and probably can't run a computer right now anyway.  His wife has a lap top, I suggested that maybe he could check in on that once in a while and let us know how he is doing.  I'm not sure if he will be able to try or not.  At any rate, I think we made his day by the show of support.   JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Awesome!

Posted

Thanks for letting us know. Enough of us pitch in, it should be less than a C note each. Let me know what y'all want to do. I'm in.

Prayers for EDMO!!!

Posted

Thanks for the update Jim! If Ed's status changes, it looks like we have plenty of support to get him a PC.

Posted

Got another call from Ed this evening.  Again he says thanks for the offers of chipping in for a computer for him.  He said his biggest problem is getting his brain to work well enough to use a computer.  If we can help him with that side of things, he can get back into conversing with all of us.  He said he does miss it, but it seems he is to fuzzy headed to try to get back on line.  The message that I left for him a week or so ago, which he answered then was still on his  phone, and when he called tonight he thought it was a new message from me.  At any rate, he does sound better, but said it will be a while before he feels up to going on line.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

And this right here is why I put up with the hackers and have this site.  You folks are the absolute best group of folks I have ever had the pleasure of hanging out with!  damn, ya'll got me choked up and I am an asshole :lol: 

Jim, thanks for the updates on Ed.  To the rest of you.. damn, I am like a proud 1st time dad holding his baby for the first time..

:BC:

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah it sure has been neat to see how much this group has meant to Ed over the years, and a lot of us have missed him here lately!

It has clearly been a real important part of life for him and hopefully it will be again during his recovery.

Count me in to chip in if he needs new computer hardware.  I can set up a GoFundMe and we'll have it in a flash!

Might be good to get a laptop with the "geek squad" type of support package where they deliver the laptop to his house and help him get it set up and online with favorites and everything.

Edited by Yamma-Fox
4 people like this

Posted

Jim,

Thanks for the update on Ed, and to all you guys!  Count me in also when you figure out the best way that works for him to get him online again.

Posted

There sure has been a nice outpouring of support and friendship in this thread for Ed.  I just copied and printed all the messages in this thread and put them in an envelope to send to him tomorrow.  I figured if he can't figure how to work a computer to see the messages, he will at least get to read them anyway, or have his wife read them to him.  I'm sure it will warm his heart to see what friends he has on this forum.  Really, really, nice.   JImChuk

5 people like this

Posted

This is fantastic news! I am in to help for a computer if it comes down to it as well. My brother builds computers and maybe I could get him to help with it if we get to that point. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Little bit of an update.  I went down to Cape Girardeau Mo. Wednesday to pick up  that Colt project I've mentioned.  It looked like I was going to get there early enough, so I gave Ed a call to see if I could drop by and see him.  He was sounding pretty good, and I was going to stop by his place.  I was going through ST Louis, and he is just on the south side of it.  My smart phone GPS ran me around in circles for an hour or more, and I never did make it to his place.  By that time I had to head the rest of the way south, and ended up driving 850 miles and getting there at about 9:30, pretty much wore out.  Up at 6 yesterday yesterday, left the airfield at 3 PM after getting everything arranged and loaded, drove all night, and got home at 6:30 AM today.   And I'll be 68 in three weeks or so....  Anyway, this post was supposed to be about Ed, wish I could have seen him, but he sounded pretty good on the phone.    Wish we could have talked more, but I got off the phone and drove, figuring I would see him in person.   In a bit over a month, I'll drive by there again maybe, and will try again.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Next time you’re in Cape, give me a call and I’ll buy you lunch.  

1 person likes this