Slow Magnum?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have read most of the Magnum section and don't recall seeing where anyone is sharing there stall speeds/ landing speeds. I passed on a Magnum several years ago because i could not find any information other than it took a lot of runway to stop. This was of course on a supercub site. I have read that everyone agrees they climb great but how do they land? There is one on barnstormers that got my attention but i don't want to kick tires if it wont live up to the L in STOL. Will a few magnum pilots please share there experiences landing the Magnum. Thanks 

Edited by aschlem

Posted

Hi,

Mine stalls at 44 mph. Takes off super fast and short at 9000 ft DA. Landings are fairly short as well, but there are a lot of factors that affect that such as wind speed, landing speed, grass or pavement etc. I have no VG's installed either, and I am sure that would help some.

The Magnum is a great performer and I would put it against any of the STOL planes out there.

Only reason I am selling mine is because I want more useful load and 4 seats.

Feel free to call me anytime for more information. 719-285-3588

Barry

Posted

Great to here, thanks for the info.  How slow do you think this setup could fly? Can any of the Magnum owner/operators land them short.. say 200ft?

Posted

200 ft is possible given the right amount of headwinds. Remember all these YouTube videos are people with a lot of experience and can use power and big flaps the right way. It is a technique that takes practice. 

Posted

IMHO its all about weight. If you have a 900lb Magnum, and its just you and a bit of gas, I'm pretty sure that in the right hands 200 feet could be repeatable....assuming you have excellent speed control and can hit your spot EXACTLY. Most Magnums (mine included) weigh more like 1000-1050lb. That makes a big difference as well as how much baggage you are carrying and of course your actual skill level. 

I think what you may be after is wanting to know how forgiving that last few seconds of flight are compared to say a Cub. The Magnum is not as forgiving and will stop flying rather abruptly than a cub which will mush better in ground effect because the wing has a lot more surface area. So IMHO which isn't worth much I would rather take off in a Magnum any day, but would rather land in a Cub.

Unless the Magnum is super light where the wing loading can approach that of a cub, which it can never really actually do.

Posted

I think the difference is a lot like when I fly a MKiV compared to a Rans S6 for instance. The last few feet above the ground during flair are much more forgiving in the Rans. I can really screw up landing my friends S6 and still every landing is butter. If I screw up and flair a bit too high in the MKIV it will drop instead of float down like the Rans. The MKIV has that under cambered super high lift wing but there is not near the total surface area of the S6 which makes it much more forgiving in ground effect everything else being equal.

Posted

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your experience. The plane does sound very capable.  Even though it may take off like a osprey i just wanted reassurance that it could (with the right skill and practice) Land in the same places the rans, highlanders,cubs, and kitfoxes are playing. If the plane is just better fit for a cross country than back country there is nothing wrong with that.

Posted

It is a very capable back country plane. I would not call it a cross country cruiser at all, although it will eat any of the other Avids and kitfoxes for lunch in cruise and comfort. With a skilled pilot and kept light the Magnum will land most anywhere. Speed control and skill are the key. If you can stay in the narrower sweet spot compared to a cub like wing you will do virtually as well. It's just a narrower sweet spot.

Posted

Thanks Chris.