Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tri Gear Wanted

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking to make a tri gear out of a tail dragger 1992 Avid Model C is there any kits or drawings available to do  this?

Posted

Does your 1992 Avid C have the nose wheel weldment already in place? If it does your conversion will be easy. You can go with the stock milk stool fork, convert a Rans fork or install an RV style all quite easily.

if it doesn't there is a LOT of work ahead. Might be easier to look for an Avid with the weldment installed if yours doesn't have one. People have installed weldments. i've even heard of someone removing one (why I have no idea) so that has been done too. But you are looking at major fabrication and welding work if your plane doesn't already have it from the factory.

There will be those welder/builders who will say it is no big deal to fab and install the weldment, and that may be you, but for most it would be a project that sucks up a lot of time that could be spent flying.

Posted

Oh and you will also need new main landing gear, but there seem to be sets of stock tri gear around or you could go with a Grove spring.

Posted

Randy Moore could posible help u out there, he is one of the guys building gear for the Avid and Kitfox, ( he is just finishing mine for taildragger). He also builds tri gear for guys, and ill bet he has info u need on the trigear stuff. Give him a call, leave a message he will get back to u soon as can, he is a busy guy these days. Tell him bucky said to call him he will treat u good. 

Randy Moore 1 (713) 589-1330 he is in TN