Wing covering

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there a video available for covering the avid stol wing?

Posted

Poly-Fiber has one, Stewarts has one. Doesn't cover an Avid wing, but covers all the bases. An Avid/Fox wing is pretty Hersey Bar shaped so its pretty straight forward. No aileron or flap bays to fool with.

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

...but remember, Oratex is only for those who are not into sniffing dope and thinner and only want to spend one weekend from ready to cover to ready to fly...

Posted

I have not sat through a Polyfiber covering seminar in a couple of decades so while at Oshkosh a few weeks ago for the airshow I did exactly that. Somethings have indeed changed. They now stress rib stitching on all airplanes even if previously the airplane manufacturer stated gluing to the ribs with Poly Tack would be good enough.

They now say breathing the fumes cannot harm you but skin absorption should be avoided at all costs. They used to preach the fumes were bad for you but if you were only covering one airplane in your life and did it in a well ventilated location you would probably be okay.  Gone were the pinking shears they used to use for everything too.

There advertisements used to brag a 30 year life but they have since down graded that to a more realistic 10 to 20 years depending on exposure.

Posted

Bullcrap! Breathing the fumes WILL harm you! I've breathed enough of the stuff in 40 years to be sure.  If its MEK based, then its harmful to breathe. I won't be using the Polyfiber process anymore, period.

Posted

Bullcrap! Breathing the fumes WILL harm you! I've breathed enough of the stuff in 40 years to be sure.  If its MEK based, then its harmful to breathe. I won't be using the Polyfiber process anymore, period.

The guy giving the seminar is the manufacturer of not only the Polyfiber chemicals but also makes the chemicals for several other name brand covering processes. He had several of his Vietnam war buddies in the crowd the day I was there. His buddy sitting next to me is a retired Colonel. They were telling war stories before the seminar started.

I too have my doubts on Mek fumes. Reminds me of all the tobacco companies telling us smoking is not dangerous back in the day. It makes sense that he makes several of the other company's chemicals. Kind of like the tobacco companies all selling several brands of cigarettes made by the same producer.