670 info

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, you guys running the 670 are very quiet.

Leni and I have been dealing with a heating  problem. Other than that its is good.

Engine is very smooth and very powerful.

I went with  a new alum radiator and air scoop. Has 6 hrs on it now and last

flight went well no heating. Went back ton 6lb rad cap and it helped.

Whats up with you guys?  Bob

Posted

I posted my experience a while back, needed lots of cooling, so I installed the belly radiator in addition to the two nose ones from my 582. Now I fly without concern, 175 degrees in climbout at 7000' and 95 degrees.

Otherwise the 670 is great, I get 500 to 600 fpm at 11000 ft density.

Posted

How many hours on you setup now, nlappos?

Posted

About 45 hours total. Great behavior on the engine, lots of power. I pulled off the exhaust Y and looked at the cylinder walls, still shows the original cross hatching and looks great. Starts perfectly. More fuel flow than the 582, I average about 6 gph at 90 mph at 9000 feet. Hacman works well. Very happy with the install.

Posted

nlappos,  at what rpm are you getting 6gph. Don't know what mine is burning

we have finally found the reason for the overheating. the symptoms  didn't fit the

problem, burnt head gasket. flew it today, new gasket, temps stayed @160

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

here are some photos, AK. I have a Northstar F210 boat fuel flow, which is great! 

Typically 8000 ft, 84 mph, 5800 to 6200 rpm, lean with the Hacman, 5.7 to 6.1 GPH

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_1400.jpg

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Question on rotax motors. 

Anyone have a way to figure out what motor a guy has in a 92-93 skidoo formula  mach 1 xtc? 

Posted

Question on rotax motors. 

Anyone have a way to figure out what motor a guy has in a 92-93 skidoo formula  mach 1 xtc? 

There should be an ID tag on the motor.  I think it is on the exhaust side near the rewind housing.

Posted

The ideal 670 won't have a rubber plug at the top of the flywheel housing but will look like a 582 with a bump either side by the case joint

Posted

Well TCJ the id tag is missing otherwise i wouldnt have needed to ask. 

Dusty, it looks just like a 582 bottom end thats in all my planes, so i know i have the right yrs for the case, trying to figure out if its a 670, 617, dont belive it is a 582 since it has rave valves.  Guy said it was a 1993, but the tag on the tub says its a 1992. Its a running riding sled i picked up for $150 bucks, and dont want to dissasembile motor to find out till i tear it out to install in a plane.  Can use it for icefishing with my son till then. 

Posted

You do know that you're going to have to do some work to get a 670 motor to work, make sure it has the lugs for the provision eight bolts which will  have to be drilled and tapped out, and crank output shaft is bigger than the 582 so whether you use a clutch or whatever that Drive it'll have to be bored for the new crank!!!

If that's not enough problems, the exhaust will be your biggest !!!!!!!!!! 

Posted

Well TCJ the id tag is missing otherwise i wouldnt have needed to ask. 

Dusty, it looks just like a 582 bottom end thats in all my planes, so i know i have the right yrs for the case, trying to figure out if its a 670, 617, dont belive it is a 582 since it has rave valves.  Guy said it was a 1993, but the tag on the tub says its a 1992. Its a running riding sled i picked up for $150 bucks, and dont want to dissasembile motor to find out till i tear it out to install in a plane.  Can use it for icefishing with my son till then. 

583 has the rave valves doesn't it.  Some of them around that year or so had the extra metal on the crankcase for the gear box.  JImChuk 

Posted

Sioux201 i do know about the case, and as i stated i know i have the right block, it has the "lugs" to b able to bolt the propdrive on. 

The crankshaft tapper is work but that dont worrie me either. Lots of machinist friends here, And i plann to use an Ebox on this engine. If i use it.

Exhaust  is doable also, As im not going to run this motor under a full KF cowl, so ill have LOTS of room. 

Jim u r correct, some of them did have the rave valves in them yrs. a friend of my sons has a 500 with rave valves also, its about same yr sled.

So mayb ill just load that heavy turd backup and take it down to my skidoo GURU buddy here that helps me with my motorwork to figure out what it is. 

Posted

Put a wood dowel down a spark plug hole and measure the stroke.

4 people like this

Posted

Sooooo looks like its not a 1993 670cc rotax,  

so far looks to b a 1992 617cc type 643 rotax 

Posted

I am about to buy an RR 670 that has a Kitfox exhaust. I want to install it on my Avid Flyer C but wonder if the exhaust will fit? Anyone have any thoughts about this? 

Posted

I am about to buy an RR 670 that has a Kitfox exhaust. I want to install it on my Avid Flyer C but wonder if the exhaust will fit? Anyone have any thoughts about this? 

I have a rotax rick 670, and used Mike Hair to make the right exhaust for my Avid. The Kitfox is upside down relative to the Avid, right? Can't imagine the KF exhaust working.

I used Mike to reweld the 582 exhaust, and it was quite cheap. Might want to give him a call. 801-eight two nine 5877

Posted

Got my 40 hrs on the 670 and it runs great still. Free to leave that silly 20 mile radious

1 person likes this

Posted

Got 100 hrs on rr 670 in my 800 lb "ultralight" 

With amphibs and its perfomed flawlessly

Posted

Thanks Nlappos. 

Unfortunately I am located in Sweden, so I need to fix that exhaust by myself. I have looked at it and it seems doable.

IMG_0416.JPG

Posted

Anders, here are some close-ups of my exhaust

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0643.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

I did some  ground running today after replacing the pistons on my new to me RR670. I did this procedure: 2,5min at 2500rpm, then 5min at 4000rpm and then 6min at 5000rpm and about 10 seconds at full power. I got a little high max static rpm (6700rpm) so I will add a little pitch to get it down to 6300rpm. I also discovered that at 4500rpm the rpm was very unstable, is that because of the Rave or maybe because of the low prop loading you think?

Below 2500rpm it is shaking quite more than the 582, is that something I will have to live with? I know I shouldn't let it go below 4000rpm during flight but sometimes I just have to go idle and wing slip to get down because the Avid Flyer is so light with high lift wing.

IMG_20211013_183656.jpg

IMG_20211019_203530.jpg

IMG_20211019_203539.jpg

IMG_20211012_200219.jpg

IMG_20211012_200208.jpg

IMG_20211020_204430.jpg

Edited by Anders Stenhammar
1 person likes this