Model 2/912

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently read that years back the first Kitfox with a 912 installed was a model 2. I am guessing done by Denney. Just prior to the model 3 being introduced. Anybody heard or read anything about this. I assumed it was too heavy for the 2 so the 3 came about.

1 person likes this

Posted

I know of at least one model 1 with a 912...

Posted

There is at least one flying in the UK

Posted (edited)

I suppose anything can be done and probably has. The model 2/912 on barnstormers was sold so maybe the new owner will join and give us some details on it. I, myself, would probably go with a Jab 2200 instead of a 912. All indications lead me to think that a 582 would perform close to the Jab for half the money. But the Jab being a 4 stroke is worth it to some. With proper care, reliability between the two isn't very far apart.  As a bit of worthless information, Dec 31 was my 40 year anniversary of having my A&P license.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
3 people like this

Posted

First post...new owner.  I just bought a model 2 with 912UL...

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome aboard! Let us know the flying qualities with the 912.

Posted

There is a 912 in front of my KF2 but I am still a long way from flying it so I can't tell you much.  I hope to fix that situation as soon as possible!

1 person likes this

Posted

How are you guts getting on with your 912's, I'm going to need some information on the installations if that's ok?

Posted

I have a KFM112M in the front of my kitfox mk2.

I would be interesting to see what setup people are using with twin wing tanks and a header tank behind the seats.

Also, my engine installation manual calls for an electric fuel pump to be used on take off and final.

Do 912's have a mechanical fuel pump or electric ?

Any thoughts on using both ?

Cheers.

Skelly.

Posted

I have a KFM112M in the front of my kitfox mk2.

I would be interesting to see what setup people are using with twin wing tanks and a header tank behind the seats.

Also, my engine installation manual calls for an electric fuel pump to be used on take off and final.

Do 912's have a mechanical fuel pump or electric ?

Any thoughts on using both ?

Cheers.

Skelly.

i have  an 582 Kitfox 2 and have remove the plastic front header and have installed an aluminum “rear” header. I have also ordered two new wing tanks from Kitfox (14 gallon).

this is how my install looks like

7465ECA9-1E32-4182-B0BE-77E2BFC791FA.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

What is the cylinder above the header tank? Some kind of venting arrangement?

Posted

That has to be a low fuel warning system.  I've built several much like this and have one on my Avid Flyer.  My Kitfox had a 1/2" NPT nipple on the side of the header tank near the top, so I put a low fuel switch in there.  Both of them work well.  JImChuk

Posted

Looks a bit complicated for that. Mine is a simple level sensor fitted to the wall of the header tank.

Posted

This is what I did on my Avid Flyer.  Fortunatly, my Kitfox has a large pipe fitting on the upper side to screw the float switch into, so the little tank wasn't needed.  JImChuk

low fuel alarm 2.jpg

low fuel alarm 3.jpg