Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gearbox and prop sugestions

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Each engine builder I have called sugests a differnt prop and gear box ratio. Is the vibration so bad with 2 blade props the only reason no one has suggested them? Have a 582 rotax being built now going on a kitfox 1. Use will be just flying around the farm, no trips. What does everybody suggest?

Posted

Mine is not a 582 engine but a 2.59 gearbox and a 2 blade was recommended. Most I know use a 3 blade on a 582. Depends on what prop RPM you'd like. Whoever you order your prop from most likely have a good idea what would work best. Prop theory is a complicated thing. Better to go with what is the most commonly used on a 582. And a lot depends on if you want take off performance or cruise speed. There is no cut and dried answer on props or ratio's. Doesn't answer your question, I know, but a little research will help. My experience is that a 582 favors a 3 blade prop. Most common ratio that I see is 2.58/1. But other ratio's work for a lot of people. And prop clearance in a tail high landing is critical for tailwheel aircraft.  A prop strike usually means an engine teardown and damage so several factors involved.

Posted

If you have a 2.58 B box, or 2.62 C box then you probably want just 2 blades.   With the 3 to one gears on a C or E box, you probably want 3 blades, because of the slower turning prop.  Unless you go with a real big 2 blade.  Avid supplied a 74" x 48" or 49" Culver with their 582 and 3-1 gear boxes.  It worked quite well, but was not as smooth as a three blade.   JImChuk

Posted

besides the original (fiberglass?) 3 blade prop that came with the Avid MKIV kit the smoothest prop I ever ran was an Ivoprop. 2 or 3 blades didn't matter as far as smoothness was concerned. I doubt it is the most efficient prop, or the prop that pulls the best out of the hole, but of all the props I tried on my MKIV the ivo was definitely the smoothest and most vibration free by far. That's not a recommendation it's just a memory and the one that has stuck more than anything else.

I recently flew a plane home for a friend who bought it but wasn't current to fly it. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a european plane that is very similar in looks and construction to a rans s-6. It had a rotax 912 80 hp engine with an IVO prop. I was again reminded how pleasant and vibration free ivoprops are. It was so smooth!

Posted (edited)

Warp drive has a good website for info. There is also a blue hyperlink to a propeller blade pitch calculator that will help in selecting size of prop and gearbox.https://www.warpdriveprops.com/ Daryl is a good guy to work with.

Edited by niteridder64
add more info

Posted

I had a 582 w/ 4 blade warpdr. w/ a 3 to 1 but after looking at the prop calculator realized I was spinning it too slowly so just changed to a 2.62. and bought a 670 , haven't worked out all the bugs but it should be a big improvement.