Flying RC

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone else? I started off with a Trex 500CF 3D heli believe it or not. I did have 3 months of sim time though. I could do pretty well. But it was nick-named "Shovel" because its love for ground. :lmao:

Been flying fixed wing lately. I bought a Horizon Hobby Sport Cub with huge tundra tires of course. Also upgraded the prop to an APC 2" larger in diameter and increased pitch by one. This puts a heavier load on the electronic speed controller (18 amp) so I only use full throttle in short bursts. I know it will take off, no flaps, in 8 feet or so and climb vertical! I get to 100' and I throttle back to half and it will fly for well over 5 minutes. Unless you are doing loops, rolls, snaps, Cuban eights, etc.

I have taken measures for better cooling of the ESC. But I am modding it to take a larger motor and a 35 amp ESC... plus going from 3 to 4 cell.

To add the plane is foam and is very resilient. Mine has been in, and fallen out of a tree once, ballooned on landing twice bending the gear, and landing quartering down wind it blew me into the rough, and broke the prop shaft. So far I have not had to buy any parts, less a motor. Parts are readily available even though it is discontinued. They still make the same bird but is called Carbon Cub.

20190514_193732[1].jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Foam board cheap plane. You have to build it. 140 bucks or so depending on your RX and how many glue sticks. I went for the six channel RX so I could have flaperons.

Latex paint, Flowtrol and water make a barrier for foam unfriendly paints!

The next one is CRAZY. High wing TWIN power. And the tires!!! :o

Did I mention I am retired??? :rolleyes:

20190603_184822[1].jpg

20190706_205211[1].jpg

20190712_191403[1].jpg

Posted

The 500 with 600 gear. And me flying it??? Or it was flying me?

DSCN0009.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I have been flying RC since kindergarten.  AMA member since then as well.  Did a few stints as president of the local RC club as well, my dad was one of the founding members of it.  I have not been flying as much as I used to, but still have a house and garage full of planes and helis.  

RC is what got my passion for flying started.  For a hand full of years I was big time into IMAC as well and hosted the state IMAC championships for several years.  

Too many hobbies and not enough time keep me from spending much time at the flying field these days but I still toss the foamies around the yard and head up to the local lake to fly floats fairly often.

:BC:

3 people like this

Posted

Cool! Most of my planes have floats. I just love the foam planes. I have a Beaver by FMS that is 2 meters (with floats btw). I also have an FMS Kingfisher I am planning on setting up an FPV camera system on. It came with the fixture as well as floats and snow skis!!! With all my boats I was wanting to fly down the river... when it goes down... LOL!!! Also my FPV goggles have a record function that should be neat to watch the video.

Kingfisher link: http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-1400mm-55-1-kingfisher-pnp-with-wheels-floats-skis-and-flaps

Posted

Thanks for the link.  I have not been following the rc forums or trends for years.  Kind of lost interest and got burned out.  you might have just cost me some money, I am a sucker for a beaver.  I have a few of them already but it never hurts to have one more right?  :lol:

2 people like this

Posted

Yes,

wish I was a drug junky instead-it’d be cheaper! Like Leni, I started 40ish yrs ago. Recently Got my grandson one of the aeronca champs from horizon, great little starter plane. I was shooting touch and goes off the wing of our avid with it. When I’m telling airplane stories to non flyers, I learned to specify model or full scale. I about made someone puke telling them what I was doing with my plane just before the crash. You should have seen the look on their face:lmao:

I host the profile brotherhood fly in here south of Nashville the last weekend of September. About 50-75 Bros from all across the nation show up Wednesday til Sunday to fly, drink, eat bbq, and shit talk each other and just generally behave poorly as adults.  Serious people are quickly run off. Exactly like this site. Matter of fact, our fearless leader Leni is a member of the brotherhood too! Leni, you still gotta make it to a Nashbro! Any ways Fly n low, your welcome to come up and add to the mayhem!

2 people like this

Posted

Yes,

wish I was a drug junky instead-it’d be cheaper! Like Leni, I started 40ish yrs ago. Recently Got my grandson one of the aeronca champs from horizon, great little starter plane. I was shooting touch and goes off the wing of our avid with it. When I’m telling airplane stories to non flyers, I learned to specify model or full scale. I about made someone puke telling them what I was doing with my plane just before the crash. You should have seen the look on their face:lmao:

I host the profile brotherhood fly in here south of Nashville the last weekend of September. About 50-75 Bros from all across the nation show up Wednesday til Sunday to fly, drink, eat bbq, and shit talk each other and just generally behave poorly as adults.  Serious people are quickly run off. Exactly like this site. Matter of fact, our fearless leader Leni is a member of the brotherhood too! Leni, you still gotta make it to a Nashbro! Any ways Fly n low, your welcome to come up and add to the mayhem!

Did ya do the 55 gallon barrel lawn dart contest??  I will make it one of these days!! 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,

Nobody volunteered their planes for it, but they volunteering their buddies planes for it! :lmao:

Gotta see if I can get some takers this year, probably after the Ironman contest!

1 person likes this

Posted

Another one with a huge array of Helis and planes. Check out the UMX Timber for a sweet flying foamy bush plane!

1 person likes this

Posted

Another one with a huge array of Helis and planes. Check out the UMX Timber for a sweet flying foamy bush plane!

I have one of those too!

Thanks for the invite BryceKat! They have a get together close to here too, in Monroe. The guys bring their campers (full of planes). So they camp, cook, and drink and act a fool also. The past couple years they have been flying planes with LEDs in the wings and such at night. My friend has one of these:https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3180.htm

Here is my Timber. You can't see it like with the lights in the wings and fuse, but still cool.

2 people like this

Posted

Yep im one of u all also, got hooked on them, and was a way to ease a real airplane into my stable with the wife, hahahaaaa, i have 7-8 horizon hobbie foam supercubs, "thank god for that little gyro" hahahahaaaa, course a guy has to mod them up, big tires, ect but the twin props r the most fun, u can hang that cheap little bugger right vertical on the prop loads of fun,flying floats on the snow is sweet also

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Doing this to a FMS Kingfisher. The AS3X has 3 adjustable gyros and is fully programmable through an app on your phone. Mine is set up like the video via Bluetooth. :)

Link for the plane: http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-1400mm-55-1-kingfisher-pnp-with-wheels-floats-skis-and-flaps

Link for Spectrum: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/AS3X.aspx

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

I bot two electric flyers for each of my boys when they were young. Of course, when flying with them Dad lost both into large crop fields like on the 2nd time out. I even went up and ran a grid search in a Thunderbird UL to try and locate them from above but no dice. Kids were not happy. I did learn to write your contact info on all RC stuff though lol.