Pulling a hydraulic cylinder apart????

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys, I'm sure some one on here has done this sort of thing, I'm needing to replacing the packing on one cylinder on my Massy Ferguson 300 backhoe.  It has some kind of a lock ring it seems that keeps the end cap from unscrewing.  I've looked on youtube, and don't find any like it being taken apart.  Anybody ever run across one of these?  And disassembled it especially?   I always try to fix things myself rather then take them in, and it usually works.   Must be some kind of trick on this, but at the moment I don't know what it is.  Thanks,  JImChuk

cylinder lock ring 1.jpg

cylinder lock ring 2.jpg

Posted

Is there a set screw down in that hole?

Posted

Ill bet it just unscrews but been together so long it going to take so force to unscew, i also know that they sometimes use amset screw in the middle of the topcap to lock it to the barrel so dont come apart durring use. Set screw should b easy to c tho. Send me a bunch of good pic via text and ill c if i can help figure it out. Ill b at work today so wont b around home. Take care Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

Does it have another hole? Some have a keeper ring that you have to knock out, but they have two holes. ???

Posted

Does it have another hole? Some have a keeper ring that you have to knock out, but they have two holes. ???

Nope, just the one hole.  Looked at it again, and still don't see any other locking bolts or anything like that.  JImChuk

Posted

Hey Jim I would suggest you order the service manual for whatever AC machine the cylinder is from.  I have a 40 year old Case backhoe and without the manuals I would not be able to maintain it.  The manuals are available for just about any machine as I am sure you are aware for just a few bucks. 

Posted

Does it have holes for a spanner in the gland nut? Either on the side or on the end? I've put the barrel in a vise and used a pipe wrench to loosen the nut. If all fails, find a hydraulic shop. I am lucky to have one fairly close with a great owner.

Posted

Hey Jim I would suggest you order the service manual for whatever AC machine the cylinder is from.  I have a 40 year old Case backhoe and without the manuals I would not be able to maintain it.  The manuals are available for just about any machine as I am sure you are aware for just a few bucks. 

I have a manual for the tractor, but that's all it's for, doesn't cover the loader or backhoe..  Your right though, I should get the rest of the manuals.  JImChuk

Posted

Does it have holes for a spanner in the gland nut? Either on the side or on the end? I've put the barrel in a vise and used a pipe wrench to loosen the nut. If all fails, find a hydraulic shop. I am lucky to have one fairly close with a great owner.

No holes for a spanner, just a 6 point nut shape on the end of the gland.  If you look at the first picture, you can just see the flattened areas.  I'm going to call a local shop tomorrow and see about taking it to them.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

I see that now. I just usually put the barrel in a vise and use a pipe wrench. Good luck!

Posted

I had it still attached on the butt end to the backhoe, and had a pipewrench and 8' pipe for a cheater and it didn't move.  Should have maybe put some heat to it as well.  Maybe it's loaded up with lock tight.  JImChuk

Posted

Those were called disposable cylinders. I machined most of the parts inside of those and rarely worked the assembly side of the plant. I do know it's a ring of wire that's put in the hole and then welded over. The wire slides in a notch between the cap and the cylinder wall to lock it in place. I also know you can get them apart by removing the wire but I'm not the guy to ask. One of the guys that worked the assembly side for decades may be of assistance.

His contact information:

Don Kurth

email      d_kurth62@yahoo.com

phone     (319)465-4391

mobile phone     (319)481-7526

The company we worked for make cylinders for hundreds of companies.

1 person likes this

Posted

I took it over to a guy that does that kind of work in his machine shop.  While there, I looked at a Zenith CH 601 with Jabiru 120 HP engine that his dad was building.  Dad passed, and it 's been sitting there for a while taking up space.....  hmmmm  JImChuk

Posted

I know what you mean Jim, seems like you are getting short of projects!  What is the serial # on the 3300?  Mine is a early solid lifter engine #270,s

Posted

I know what you mean Jim, seems like you are getting short of projects!  What is the serial # on the 3300?  Mine is a early solid lifter engine #270,s

Serial # is 1677.  Bought in 2008.  JImChuk

PS  at the rate I'm going on the Kitfox 4 it will be a long time before I need another project, and I have another one already in the line up :-)  

Posted

Well I got the hydraulic cylinder back today.  $140 and it's good to go.  The way the lock ring works on these cylinders is you actually tighten the gland nut up, and the lock ring gets pushed out of that hole in the side of the cylinder.  Once the lock ring is out, you unscrew the gland nut.  But at the price I had to pay, maybe I wouldn't work on the next one myself.  Road Machinery and Supply had given me a quote of $750, and so I would say it's best to shop around.  Anyway, it's back on the backhoe, and all is good.  Even got to go for a short flight after the cylinder was installed and working.  JImChuk

5 people like this