Drawings for cabana style shock gear wanted for kitfox IV or Avid mk IV

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

is there someone having drawings available?

I fly in the Netherlands an avid mk4 and a friend of my the kf4. We like to upgrade to wider shock gear.

Eric Hobma

Edited by avidflyer01

Posted

Here is some info you can look through.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1536-homemade-spring-gear/&page=1
www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/2110-build-your-own-avid-spring-gear-document/

1 person likes this

Posted

Thx

Posted

Posted on another thread, the Lowell Fitt gear (also known as Highwing LLC gear) is a fine set that is wide and high, and makes landings and rollouts a breeze. I removed my standard gear and installed the Fitt gear in about a day. I have Lowell's contact info if you'd like. His gear was about half the cost of Grove gear.

small gear.jpg

Posted

Is Lowell still doing landing gear?

Posted

Yes, Lowell is still in the game, I exchanged emails with him today.

Posted (edited)

Hello , anyone using the hatz style gear that Randy Moore build. 

The one picture here of Lowell's looks similar.

Thanks

Edited by Just Plane Mike
Add additional
1 person likes this

Posted

Bit of an update on Lowell,  He has moved from California to Arizona and sold his Kitfox.  Dont think you can count on any more landing gears from him.  Hopefully I'm wrong, he is a craftsman, and knows his stuff, but like all of us, age creeps up on us.   Last time I talked to him was probably in June.   JImChuk

Posted

Yes i have a set of Randys gear on my KF#0038. Had to make a few adjustments to make it more to my liking.  Axels, springs, spring plates and extended the slot. 

2901E4CA-423D-4CED-8566-379CE1E7572E.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

564F3A3D-1070-4D59-A981-136EAB5BED99.png

Posted (edited)

I read some post that one should stay away from this type of gear because there was not enough travel and if you had a hard landing that you could bend the frame,  love to hear all comments.

Edited by Just Plane Mike
Correct spelling

Posted (edited)

Anygear will bend up ur plane if its not right for ur type of flying. I can tell u i had an OPPS on my first landing on this gear, hit hard enough took the headset off my head and into my lap, bounced and hit again, didnt bend anything. Shook me up bad enough i had to get out of the plane for 30min to stop shaking and relax. 
Id buy another set, but have a few more ideas to suite my wants. 

AC325A17-3C62-4574-818E-389C4D932FF2.png

C2150375-2047-4277-B534-1E84173697F6.png

8B85CBF6-1E47-45C6-9BC6-E84C296FE55F.png

Edited by Buckchop
Add pic
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, what am I'm looking at in these pictures? And what ideas would you want. From what I can tell of the pictures of your plane and landing gear they look taller.

Posted (edited)

They show how much i enlongated the slot in the strut for suspension travel, and the assembiled strut with spring i went to and the cups i made to accept the new springs i changed to. 
And yes my gear is taller b 4” at the firewall, and the tire spread was made little wider to accomidate the 4” up at firewall. 
Far as what else i want,  a better step design to help u get in, but i may do a step like Atlee Dodge sells for a supercub ect, biggest is i think the bottom of the spring strut where mounts to gear leg should b mounted on the end of the axel not just above it, like supercub gear, but that will also mess up some guys that r running 3/4” axels, i run 1.5” axels on both my KF1 so that wouldnt affect me. 

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Somebody refresh my memory, please. Who makes the gear similar to the Randy Moore gear that uses the bungees instead of the springs? I remember the group discussing it but that was longer ago than yesterday. The Moore type gear just doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. And I've always liked the bungee type gear.

1 person likes this

Posted

Somebody refresh my memory, please. Who makes the gear similar to the Randy Moore gear that uses the bungees instead of the springs? I remember the group discussing it but that was longer ago than yesterday. The Moore type gear just doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. And I've always liked the bungee type gear.

I'm with you.  Die Springs are just a bent airframe waiting to happen.

1 person likes this

Posted

I just got an E-mail back from Randy Moore saying he could and would build a gear that would use bungee's instead of springs if its what the customer would prefer. Of course you would be responsible for the bungees and wrapping them. But for us with the original gear, that's not a big issue. Probably more than me that have been slapped with a loose end of a bungee cord at one time or the other. Talk about a hillbilly hill whipping, ouch!  Another option for gear changers. I think his gear runs around $1200 which is cheaper than some I've seen.

1 person likes this

Posted

I just got an E-mail back from Randy Moore saying he could and would build a gear that would use bungee's instead of springs if its what the customer would prefer. Of course you would be responsible for the bungees and wrapping them. But for us with the original gear, that's not a big issue. Probably more than me that have been slapped with a loose end of a bungee cord at one time or the other. Talk about a hillbilly hill whipping, ouch!  Another option for gear changers. I think his gear runs around $1200 which is cheaper than some I've seen.

Sounds good Allen, . After the gear I would have to change the wheels , tires, and brakes wouldn't I. I think I have 3/4 axles. Ball park figure of the cost. Future project maybe, 

Posted

Those gear are often built where you use your 3/4" axels.  That is how my cabane gear is on my Avid that Lowell Fitt built.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Those gear are often built where you use your 3/4" axels.  That is how my cabane gear is on my Avid that Lowell Fitt built.  JImChuk

Ok , thanks I didn't know that. I thought it use the larger axles that a lot of post suggested to go to. Suggestions? Stay with 3/4 or Larger. TKS

Posted

I have the 3/4" axels, and am happy with them.  Probably would go the same way in the future rather then have to buy new wheels and axels.  With Grove gear, you also have the option of 3/4" or 1 1/4" axels.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

i build these

thumbnail.jfif

Posted

i build these

thumbnail.jfif

cant see it

Posted

i build these

thumbnail.jfif

Randy,  what is the difference in price if you build the landing gear to use bungees instead of springs?   JImChuk