2019; It's a new hunting year!

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright, it's time to get tuned up for hunting with your plane this year!  Spring bear season was great!  Plus, got out his last weekend to scout a new spot for sheep this year.  Man the winds are crazy in this drainage.  There is no constant other than you are getting blasted from every direction plus up and down; it certainly keeps you busy.  A few pics of our new landing strip.

Hope everyone has a safe and successful year and get out and take your plane hunting with you! (and be sure to post your pictures).

DSCN3375-1.jpg

DSCN3388-1.jpg

DSCN3412-1.jpg

DSCN3417-1.jpg

DSCN3424-1.jpg

DSCN3426-1.jpg

DSCN3428-1.jpg

9 people like this

Posted

Great pics as always mr!  

Posted

Damm right Awesome pic!! wish i was doing that too!! Great way to enjoy the day!

Posted

Not so much fun for the bear though!  :lmao:  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Nice pics as always.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I might have been married to her!

1 person likes this

Posted

You wish, your alimony would stop now! :P

1 person likes this

Posted

Would have been better off just finding a woman I couldn't stand, buying her a house and car, give it to her and went on with my peaceful life.

1 person likes this

Posted

Would have been better off just finding a woman I couldn't stand, buying her a house and car, give it to her and went on with my peaceful life.

and some of us were dumb enough to fall for it twice!  :lmao:  

I love the way these threads go.  Never know what we will turn them into.  :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't feel like you're the only one.  Been down that road, too!

1 person likes this

Posted

Either way, a nice trophy bear and great setting with the planes!  The bear would have been easier to hibernate with than my ex. Probably didn't snore as much either.

2 people like this

Posted

Sorry boys, very easy and pragmatic question (and not related to bear or ex ;) definitely):

How are you able to protect your propellers when landing at such strips? This is pretty serious problem for me. Substantial impact of plant is visible and I am facing serious impact on propeller. This year/spring was very wet so even grass is more much stronger and higher then in past years...
Any recommendation is appreciated

Posted

Sorry boys, very easy and pragmatic question (and not related to bear or ex ;) definitely):

How are you able to protect your propellers when landing at such strips? This is pretty serious problem for me. Substantial impact of plant is visible and I am facing serious impact on propeller. This year/spring was very wet so even grass is more much stronger and higher then in past years...

Big tires, taller landing gear and aim for the smallest clumps.  Its really that simple.  So far the IVO has held up remarkably well and seems to be less susceptible to FOD in the prop than an aluminum prop on the certified birds.

You might want to look into the leading edge tapes that are available as well.

:BC:

Posted

Nice bear!!! Remember if you have had fish in your plane, make sure you wash it out before you go hunting in it!!!

bearcub2.jpg

bearcub4.jpg

Posted

I think that bear was just making sure it had a local food supply when it needed a human to snack on!

Posted

I'm still waiting for the photo of the bear in the passenger seat with your sunglasses on and a cigarette in it's mouth. Even better, I want to see the look on some spectators face at the airport when you land and he spots the bear riding shotgun with aviator sunglasses on and a Dave Clark headset.

Posted

Big tires, taller landing gear and aim for the smallest clumps.  Its really that simple.  So far the IVO has held up remarkably well and seems to be less susceptible to FOD in the prop than an aluminum prop on the certified birds.

You might want to look into the leading edge tapes that are available as well.

:BC:

Well, I am already using leading edge tapes, plastic one from car shop ... but not enough.I have some sort of "bigger" tires (bigger then usual here) ... but not enough.

Now I ordered metal tapes from shop, waiting for delivery.
What is usual prop clearance for your aircraft? Just roughly (take off position as well)

Posted

You guys are too funny!

The IVO use a stainless steel leading edge tape that works pretty well and is replaceable so you could get some from them if you can't find it.  It has a peel off back side and can be shaped over the leading edge.

To clear the brush:

1. Use a tail dragger.

2. 5.5" extended gear.

3. 30" bush wheels

4. What Leni said.

Posted

Too short legs ...

bristel jenki 640.jpg