2 stroke piston options??

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Just out of curiosity.....I see more than one engine rebuilder using ceramic-coated piston tops in Rotax 2 stroke engines.  I know they have been around awhile because I had a set installed in a 503 several years ago. 

Who sells these pistons? Are they just having new stock pistons coated?  What do you guys know about different piston options.

Posted

Rotax Rick uses ceramic pistons on the 670, his web site says: " with two 670 cylinders containing ceramic top pistons"

Posted

Yeah he was one of the several I've know to use them. I'd kinda like to know more about them and where they get them from. 

Posted

http://www.challengers101.com/Bulletproofing503.html

HEAT! gotta get rid of the heat... thats the whole idea behind ceramic coatings.... aluminum and steel "wick" heat . IN the case of steel at about 1600(F) it really starts wicking heat and glows bright red... Ceramic allows surface temps to go higher without soaking into the part so the engine runs cooler... Im not good at explaining this stuff . The article above it pretty good..

Posted

I fitted with SPT ceramic top Pistons with Teflon skirt coating.definatly more power.400+ hours  with no problem,just don't use the supplied caged bearing. A complete kit including gaskets was about the price of a single rotax piston. Also don't use the single ring piston option. eBay.

1 person likes this

Posted

It just kind of reminds me of the ceramic-coated mufflers some of the Ramblers used to have :)  Technology has come a long way.