Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone running 3.47 gear?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

i think this new c box I’ve got has got 3.47 gears, which I’ve got figure out what to run. I like Culver props, because they are light, affordable, and their two tones are beautiful. With the taller gear I’ll not have an issue with ground clearance, but am fearing a 582 might be spinning the prop too slow with 3.47.

Posted

I wouldn't run the same prop at 3.47 as I would with 2.62 or even 3:1.  your going to loose thrust.  The reason for the 3.47 is to swing more prop or more pitch.

Posted

Yes I concur...when I mount the motor I’ll put it in a level attitude and measure how big I can go/ground clearance. But if someone had experience with 3.47 I’d love to hear.

Posted

Matthew, you say you think you have that ratio. Is the ratio stamped on the flat spot where the big C is stamped?

Posted

For that matter, if the gears are not the stock ones that came with the gear box, the ratio stamp doesn't mean much.  Turn the one end, and count how many times it makes the other end revolve.  Do the math, and then you know.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Have you ever ran a ration that big Jim?

Posted

No.  Ran 3-1 on the Avids with the 582.  JImChuk

Posted

If you're unsure, make sure whatever prop you buy is ground adjustable, so you can play with pitch to make the engine happy.