Avid Skis for sale on Ebay

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I had a set of those that I sold for $450  a few years ago.  Took a while to sell them even at that price.  I think they are worth more then that, but that depends on whether you're buying or selling I suppose.  I would guess that you may have to replace the plastic on the bottoms of these, it only lasts so long and then gets brittle.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I can confirm that "the skis on the plane is just a sample pic" - as it is my plane and I not selling my skis! NEVER!!! 

Whoever not buing the skis will one day regret it! So when you do (buy them that is), make sure they include the long wheel axis that goes with the skis. Can send photos if needed if the son selling his fathers stuff is not up to speed on what is a part of the kit.

Edited by FredStork

Posted

Damn I'd like to have these but $500 seems a little steep. I have a sister in that town too. To bad there was not a option to make an offer. 

Posted

if 500 seems steep think what your time is worth.  Between materials and time to cut and fit the tubes then weld it out 500 seems like a good bargain to me.

:BC:

Posted

If you want a set of these, 500 is not a bad price even if you have to replace the plastic bottoms.  Leni is right, if you had a jig and stuff for making a bunch of them, you could knock them out for a good bit less.   But a one off set from scratch..... big difference.  YMMV   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Damn I'd like to have these but $500 seems a little steep. I have a sister in that town too. To bad there was not a option to make an offer. 

Just pay in cash, the wife will never know...

Here is a pic of the long wheel axis that I can’t see in the photo. Make sure to get them...110E63BF-ED25-4EF2-AE11-6F2D4FF3C535.thu

2 people like this

Posted

The price of the Ski's was dropped to $425. I am now the owner of the ski's 

1 person likes this

Posted

Did they come with the extended axles?

Posted

No they did not. The axles on my Mark IV are 2.5 inches longer on the outside than needed and both ends have cut threads in them. I'm sure I will have to make something up but I have axle material and a lathe.

Posted (edited)

Well that explains why he was reluctant to come down on the price. I'm glad to have a set but I wrote him and asked him if the bottoms were in good shape because they are prone to cracking. He said they were in good shape. After I bought them he said he noticed one had a cracked edge. After getting them there is no doubt the bottoms are ruined. I have time to mess with them before winter so I think I will look into either aluminum or carbon fiber bottoms. I have both available at my Airport. 

I do not have my own lathe but I do have one to use anytime I need one and a machinist to go with it. I believe his is an older Central Machinery Lathe. The only issue is I have to drive out to Spirit Lake to use it. I've been looking into buying me a small lathe for my garage because the more I play with these Experimentals the more I need to make small parts. I have been looking at buying the 7" x 14" mini lathe from Grizzly. The same company that makes the Harbor Freight mini lathes also makes the Grizzly lathes but the Grizzly has a longer bed, larger "Big Boy" tailstock and a center rest which the Harbor Freight ones do not come with. There is a company that makes a better metal gear set for them and there is a ton of videos on U-tube that show how to adjust and upgrade various parts on these machines to make them more precise. 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-7-x-14-Variable-Speed-Benchtop-Lathe/G0765

With any luck I will have these mounted up and be skiing down some lake in Northern Idaho next winter.  :BC:

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer

Posted

darned, i should check this section more often! vance, have fun with them! if anyone else has some skis for sale let me know :) 

Posted

darned, i should check this section more often! vance, have fun with them! if anyone else has some skis for sale let me know :) 

Sorry Pascal - have skis, not selling, too much fun  :)

8643608A-B249-4D7E-B477-BE9CEA78D787.thu

2 people like this

Posted

Vance, put the white LDR plastic back on the skis. It last a long time. By the time its all chewed up , several years will have gone by.. The plastic will not stick to the snow.. I know aluminum will. I was stuck many many times with bare metal skis in the early 70s and we tried everything including black electrical tape.

Many times I had to tromp out ruts with my snow shoes in order to be able to take off again...

I havent seen any body up there in Alaska use anything else on ski bottom but the UHMW plastic. (ultra high mocular weight). Even the dog sled runners on the Iditarod sled racers use UHMW plastic...its the stuff to use...

1 person likes this

Posted

Should I use the LDR or the UHMW?  Thanks for the info. :BC:

Posted

I am lucky to live in an area close to two large plastic outlet stores. It wont be hard to get the material. I just want to make sure I get he right stuff. Thank you for the offer.

Posted

UHMW   1/8" or whatever thickness is on there... it will last a long time as wheel penetration skis...

UHMW is what all the dog runners are usings.. .there are all kinds of plastic, white, blue, black, IN Fairbanks the State of ALaska lines thier dump trucks with 3/4" bluw plastic to help reduce snow from sticking in the box when clearing snow... but the most common on airplanes is 1/8" UHMW white... some guys tried 1/4" and maybe down around Anchorage where you are running over rocks all the time but it adds a lot of weight so in the interior most use 1/8".

If you were to ever get in water or overflow and dont have plastic you come to a screeching halt...and then the work begins.... with plastic bottoms you just slid right thru it..

1 person likes this

Posted

Federal Ski Mfg in Minneapolis used to put white plastic on A-2500 and A-2000 wheel replacement skis back in the 50s  but being cheap Alaskans after it wore out most didnt replace it nor did they realize just what it did until a few years went by... also plastic allows you to slide over rocks and mud. A lot of airboat guy use it in Alaska as well.. .one guy got drunk and drove his airboat down airport way almost to Pikes landing and he would have except the plastic ground off and the aluminum boat bottom slowed him to a halt and the cops got him.. It was a bet with large amounts of Alcohol involved...!!Plastic works!!

Posted

Nice photo Fred! Looks just like some places in Alaska... most of the best ski flying for fun in Alaska is in the springtime about a month long. Lots of sun, relatively warm but risk of overflow on lakes and rivers, shelf ice to rip gear off and other risk but all in all fun and when most get out and do it..

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry Pascal - have skis, not selling, too much fun  :)

i've still got time to source some skis for my avid as i need to finish building it first :) .. in the meantime i'm learning to master the alps in this...

gletscher.jpg

4 people like this