Wing lift strut fuselage attach point side

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Does any one here have a good picture of the wing lift strut end that attaches to the fuselage not painted. Folding wings back and noticed crack in paint. Chipped paint away to look closer and it looks like there are two tabs on the lower and top flange that sandwich the fuselage attach lug.  Just want to see if this is normal construction and if these are 2 steel plates together. I wonder why would they not be welded together or do I have more to worry about? First post, little history of the Airdale flyer I have. Built by my father  and finished in 2002.  He passed away 3 years ago and kept plane in family. Just about 900 hours on the airframe so needing to keep a closer eye on her as she ages. Enjoying all of the 100 hours I have flown in this aircraft.

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_1823.PNG

Posted

I'll have to check mine but I would think any two structural pieces of metal that are subject to water/dirt would be welded between the two plates to seal them and add strength. I would clean the paint off and have someone weld it up. Pretty easy fix.  

1 person likes this

Posted

That is the plan to clean it up and have the radius  welded. As a A&P I was surprised to see that and since my airframe has a few hours I thought it might be wise to share some things of inspection interest to keep the fleet safe. For all I know it could have been this way from day 1 but it sure got my attention.

Posted

is that cracked?  its kind of tough to tell in the pic.  

Posted

I apologize for the delayed response. I took the paint and primer off down to the bare metal and found the weld did not fill the void very well in the pictured area. The weld is in tack but the finish job filling the void in entirely was not done well. Any way peace of mind knowing that it turned out not to be a crack.

1 person likes this

Posted

There should be a washer under the bolt head, and another one on the bottom between the castle nut!