Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru to Avid Flyer Engine Mount.

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I seem to have misplaced the drawing I had for the Avid Flyer to Jabiru 2200 engine mount.

I am having my mount modified to raise the top two mounts 15 mm to accommodate the Gen 4 2200 engine.

If you have one let me know.

I believe it was made by SkyFox and would also fit the Kitfox 4.

John M

Posted

Check your private messages John.   JImChuk

Posted

Jim:

Thanks. This is the one I had, but mine was a bit larger and easier to read the numbers.

That said, this will work when I give it to the aircraft certified welder to raise the top two mounts 15 mm.

I appreciate your help with this.

John M

Posted

A new engine mount to fit the Gen 4 2200 will cost $895...gulp. A local welder will modify my current mount to fit the Gen 4 for $600 max. Not much difference so I think I'll go for the new one.

john M

Posted

Back when I got my Jabiru mount from Avid it was $450.  That was almost 10 years ago.   I don't think your local guy is going to loose any money on that deal.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim:

The local welder is a bit higher than I would have expected. I would save about $300, but I have decided to hang my new engine on a new mount.

John M

Posted

Just for comparision, my new mount is costing me about 225 in materials. Not counting the lease on the welding tanks, which I can use for other items. I can't count the time I spent head scratching (and other parts) and laying it out. Probably 10-15 hrs labor. So 895 for a new mount is not unreasonable, considering it will probably fit out of the box. And you won't have to buy Band-Aids and burn cream! 

Posted

Allen:

That's funny!!!

John M

Posted

Building a mount for a one off is one thing.  The time it takes to make jigs for repeatable mount building is another.  it is amazing how much the metal will walk around if welded out of sequence or if all points are not bolted down solid.

I now have jigs for the avid and Avid plus to make 912 mounts and I have a lot of time into them, building and rebuilding them for function.

All that said.  600 bucks to modify your mount just a tad is pretty damn outrageous.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

When you mentioned modifying a mount Leni, I remembered my 912 mount for my first Kitfox 4.  Guy out in Idaho on the same airfield as Kitfox, took a kitfox 5 mount and narrowed it down and even added two tubes to strengthen it so it would fit on the Kitfox 4.,  I paid 450 for that mount, after the work was done.  Probably a pretty good deal, but at the risk of running off topic, I posted some pictures of that mount and engine back when you were making up your jig for the Avid 912.  I had 29" from the firewall to the prop flange on that setup.  On the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding now, I'm using a standard Kitfox 4 912 mount.  The front face of the prop flange on it is 24 1/2" from the firewall.   I remember reading that they moved the engine forward to get more weight in the baggage compartment.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty sure that's close to where my mount ended up.  I know it puts the prop flange about 2" forward of the 582 mount so the air filters will just clear the firewall on the Avid.

:BC:

Posted

If my memory is correct in this case, on the Kitfox 1 the 582 prop flange was at the same distance from the fire wall as the older style Kitfox 4 912 mount.  About 24 1/2"  Can't say for the Avid, as I would have to measure a motor mount and the engine to figure it out.  I don't have one currently mounted on a plane.   JImChuk

Posted

I have removed my Jab 2200 and it is on its way to its new owner in Canada.

I removed the engine mount because it will not fit the new engine. I noticed and then remembered, the mount tilts the engine down at 5 degrees.

I will keep this mount until I get the new one from Jabiru just to make sure they get it right.

If not right I will spend the $600 to get my current mount modified by raising the top two mounts 15 mm.

John M

Posted

John,

I know this is post is from last year but do you still have the Jabiru  mount?  I'm hopefully picking up a gen1 engine today and need one or drawing.

Thanks

Jack