Magnum 2nd flight

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Today the weather was perfect for another test flight. After adjusting the the left wing (which was off .4 degrees from the right wing) the heavy left wing was gone. I spent most of my time with various flap settings and slow flight, as well as watching engine temps and getting more familiar with the GRT avionics. I was happy seeing 1400 FPM climbs and 115 true air speed at 10K, 2600 RPM. I spent another hour in the pattern brushing the dust off my tail wheel skills. I will take a little rudder trim out for tomorrow's flight and I think it will fly as hands off as a Magnum will. I am very happy with the performance so far, it has a few flying characteristics that are a bit different, but after figuring them out, not a big issue.

2 people like this

Posted

I had the same issue with my Mark IV flaperons. Mine were 3 degrees off. Setting them right made all the difference in he world. I should have my Magnum ready this weekend. I had to rebuild the left master cylinder because it was pulling air into the system. 

I love your landing gear. Did you built it?

Posted

I had the same issue with my Mark IV flaperons. Mine were 3 degrees off. Setting them right made all the difference in he world. I should have my Magnum ready this weekend. I had to rebuild the left master cylinder because it was pulling air into the system. 

I love your landing gear. Did you built it?

Yes, those adjustments are very sensitive for sure. I am also having brake issues, my left side keeps going soft. I may need to rebuild my left master as well. Ron and I had a gentleman fabricate our landing gear, works nice and very simple.

Posted

Boy you are not kidding!  The first time I flew my Mark IV I flew out to a friends local grass strip. The wind had picked up and a rotor off of some trees about put a wing into the ground. It scared the crap out of me. That's when I knew something was not right. The aileron roll control was very heavy. It is amazing what a small adjustment did for that plane. It went from very heavy to light and nimble. 

I kept getting air in the left line going up to the reservoir. I would bleed it out but after a few pumps it was back. The shaft in that M/C was scratched up like someone had grabbed it with a vice. I tried to clean it up but I think it had already ruined the o-rings in the top cap. I installed a new shaft, top cap and o-rings last night so I should have it all back together and working this evening. 

Yeah those have to be the best looking gear I've seen on a Magnum. As soon as my Dad decides to sell this Magnum to me I'll start looking for gear options. Was he able to build them from a jig or did he have to have the airplane on site? Do you remember what he charged you to make them up?

Thank you for the information Barry. That sure a good looking airplane. I hope to get my hands on this one of my Dads. 

:BC:

Posted

Boy you are not kidding!  The first time I flew my Mark IV I flew out to a friends local grass strip. The wind had picked up and a rotor off of some trees about put a wing into the ground. It scared the crap out of me. That's when I knew something was not right. The aileron roll control was very heavy. It is amazing what a small adjustment did for that plane. It went from very heavy to light and nimble. 

I kept getting air in the left line going up to the reservoir. I would bleed it out but after a few pumps it was back. The shaft in that M/C was scratched up like someone had grabbed it with a vice. I tried to clean it up but I think it had already ruined the o-rings in the top cap. I installed a new shaft, top cap and o-rings last night so I should have it all back together and working this evening. 

Yeah those have to be the best looking gear I've seen on a Magnum. As soon as my Dad decides to sell this Magnum to me I'll start looking for gear options. Was he able to build them from a jig or did he have to have the airplane on site? Do you remember what he charged you to make them up?

Thank you for the information Barry. That sure a good looking airplane. I hope to get my hands on this one of my Dads. 

:BC:

Yes, I think I will go a bit more positive with my flaperon angle as well, it really lightens the roll control and feels better. He has the jigs and patterns for the magnum, when you get ready for a gear upgrade I can send you his information. I can also set you up with caliper mounts for single puck cleveland calipers. He uses super cub spindles and the brakes for them get real expensive fast, so I came up with a work around. You will spend about $1600 plus the brake parts. Good luck getting the Magnum! If he doesn't sell it to you, you can buy mine!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you for the info. That brake option sounds great. I could use the Cleveland wheel cylinders that are on this plane already.

What?? Don't tell me you are ready to sell that already?? 

Posted

Thank you for the info. That brake option sounds great. I could use the Cleveland wheel cylinders that are on this plane already.

What?? Don't tell me you are ready to sell that already?? 

Cool, just let me know when you get ready to upgrade! And yes, my hanger is getting full, and I am building another one now. Something has to go in the next year or so!