broken trailing edge wire

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I put some new rib extensions on and just before I was ready to start the fabric I decided the wire needed to move up about an eighth inch . So I drilled a little hole just above the cable and tried to wiggle the bit up and down a tad-tad too much,pop went the cable!! It,s the last rib out just before the tip. Can some type of clamp connector fix this ?

Posted

I put some new rib extensions on and just before I was ready to start the fabric I decided the wire needed to move up about an eighth inch . So I drilled a little hole just above the cable and tried to wiggle the bit up and down a tad-tad too much,pop went the cable!! It,s the last rib out just before the tip. Can some type of clamp connector fix this ?

The trailing edge wire is pretty much cosmetic so you should be able to just pull it tight and clamp it with a nicopress. My worry is why the cable popped with only a little bit of tension put on it.

Any chance of posting apicture so we can really see what you talking about?

Posted

The trailing edge wire is pretty much cosmetic so you should be able to just pull it tight and clamp it with a nicopress. My worry is why the cable popped with only a little bit of tension put on it.

Any chance of posting apicture so we can really see what you talking about?

It had a good bitof tension the bottom skin is still on and the fabric was left long to bring it up and around the wire it was pretty tight . I,ll get pix in the A.M.

Posted

It had a good bitof tension the bottom skin is still on and the fabric was left long to bring it up and around the wire it was pretty tight . I,ll get pix in the A.M.

post-185-12869246611088_thumb.jpg

post-185-12869247096408_thumb.jpg

post-185-12869247604002_thumb.jpg

post-185-12869248103648_thumb.jpg

post-185-12869248573098_thumb.jpg

Posted

I picked up the ss nicropress and some couples. Tomorow I,ll splice it together.

Posted

I think it is doable, but my concern would be getting the bottom fabric the correct tension after you try and hodgepodge it back together. You should be able to wrap the fabric back around and hit it with a heat gun ( I know the manual tells you not to, but you are about out of options the way you are trying to do it). I am certain that the fabric was not fully tensioned per the polyfiber specs as you cant shrink it at full temp on the under cambered wing so you do have a little left to play with.

If you cut the fabric on the rib, you will have 1" of fabric overlap right on the rib, then use a 3" minimum tape on the seam to give you the required 2" overlap on the seam. If I am loosing you on that one let me know and I will try to draw something up for you and post it so you can get a visual on where I am going with this.

:BC:

Posted

I think it is doable, but my concern would be getting the bottom fabric the correct tension after you try and hodgepodge it back together. You should be able to wrap the fabric back around and hit it with a heat gun ( I know the manual tells you not to, but you are about out of options the way you are trying to do it). I am certain that the fabric was not fully tensioned per the polyfiber specs as you cant shrink it at full temp on the under cambered wing so you do have a little left to play with.

If you cut the fabric on the rib, you will have 1" of fabric overlap right on the rib, then use a 3" minimum tape on the seam to give you the required 2" overlap on the seam. If I am loosing you on that one let me know and I will try to draw something up for you and post it so you can get a visual on where I am going with this.

:BC:

Thank,s yes I,m with you on all that, especialy the hodge-podge part. Thank,s again for your help, I haven't had a chance to do any work on it the last couple of day's , had a solo student do a hard nose landing in the 172 the other day. firewall got wrinkled.