Touch up paint

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I have a few little spots I'd like to touch up, chipped paint on gear, tiny spot flaked off of flaperon rib tails, etc. Logs state paint is aerothane. I only need a small bottle of each of the three colors. Hate to buy. Quart of each at $70+. What would be off the shelf comparable? I was considering Testers model paint. Lots of colors I could get it matched pretty close. The chips are on the steel gear mount/legs and the plywood flaperon rib tails. Can anyone see any issues using the model enamel? Or is there a paint you would recommend? I bought the plane used and didn't get any left over paint from original paint job. I'm just wanting to prevent spots of rust or water intrusion into the plywood.

Thanks

Posted

It will work just fine. Color matching can be tricky. All you are wanting to do is seal the chip.

Posted

My grandfather was a sign painter. He could mix up any color under the sun and match it perfectly. A trick he taught me was to mix up the colors and paint a spot on a piece of scrap and let it dry before comparing the color. It will dry to a different color than what it appears wet. My grandfather was so good he knew what wet color he needed to get the dry color he was after but even he still did a sample spot to test it. Those Testers modellers paints do come in all colors but you can also get the three primary colors and mix any color you want. Plenty of color wheel charts to help you mix by on the web these days and even a few apps for your phone.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you gentlemen! 

Posted (edited)

I've also had good luck with fingernail polish. Cheap, get it anywhere and comes in weird colors, too. Even cheaper if you borrow (steal) your wife's.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
2 people like this

Posted

I used Home Depot digital color matching system to match the 25 year old blue trim on my Avid, they mixed up a batch and it was so close when dry that I cant quite tell which is patch and which is old stuff. 

1 person likes this

Posted

My grandfather was a sign painter. He could mix up any color under the sun and match it perfectly. A trick he taught me was to mix up the colors and paint a spot on a piece of scrap and let it dry before comparing the color. It will dry to a different color than what it appears wet. My grandfather was so good he knew what wet color he needed to get the dry color he was after but even he still did a sample spot to test it. Those Testers modellers paints do come in all colors but you can also get the three primary colors and mix any color you want. Plenty of color wheel charts to help you mix by on the web these days and even a few apps for your phone.

Not all paints will do that but I know Imron will change big time. I ALWAYS brushed on a spot without catalyst on the part I was painting and let it dry to see if it matched. Then just wipe if off with a rag and MEK.

1 person likes this

Posted

I built hundreds of models as a kid, mostly WW2 planes and ships. I went to Walmart and they don't even sell models! What the heck?! Wife suggested Michael's and I'll be damned, they had models and Testers paint.

I never even thought of fingernail polish. I Cerakote as a business and was considering using some air cure but the Testers will touch up the little chips just fine.

Thanks everyone!