Need Kitfox 4 912 rotax firewall pictures

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, I'm back working on my Kitfox 4 rebuild again.  I hung the engine so I could figure how to make the firewall so it wouldn't hit anything that has to be there.  Where I'm seeing an issue is where the firewall will get close to the starter on the bump out for the rudder pedals.  If someone could show a picture of theirs from the side showing how close the firewall gets to the starter that would help me out.  Or for that matter, the angle and distance out of the top of the bump out in relation to the top section of the firewall.  I have the Kitfox style mount that uses the four arms that bolt to the sides of the engine.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

For both my Avid and my friends KF. IV with 912 uls we had to cut off the back if the starter casting that had a bolt hole.  To remove the starter will require removal of the engine from the firewall.  I will see if I can get pictures of my buddy's KF today but I may not be able to, I think that it is still masked for some painting operations and he is in Israel for an other week so it maybe a while before I can get some pictures.

Posted

Jim he has it wrapped up tight and I don't feel right about unwrapping it.  I will get you pictures as soon as he gets back.

Posted

Thanks Paul, you tried and I appreciate that.  Couple of guys on the "other site"  put up a few pics for me, so I think I'll muddle through.  One just went under the starter, which I'm guessing is standard, the other put a small notch in the bump out where the starter was.  I probably should make up a temporary one that misses the starter, and see if my feet hit it when I work the pedals.  That's really all that maters I would say.  JImChuk

Posted

I’m doing a 912 FWF upgrade on my bird. I could use some pics to see how the install looks.

thanks

Posted

Well drat.  Just found this thread.  I have the 912 uls and am now on my third firewall iteration, fighting those lugs on the starter.

I was wondering whether the lugs were essential to anything hidden inside, and Paul's solution has just made my life a lot easier.  Off with the lugs.  On the bright side, I've gained a lot of practice on sheet metal work. This is not my engine, but the lugs seem to be the same.

Jack  Austin TX

rotaxstarter0103a.jpg

Posted (edited)

This was a fairly old thread.  But it shows why the forums are so much better than facebook.  An old thread with it's information can be pulled up real easily with a quick search.  As I understand it, those lugs get cut off with no problem.  I had the one of the old style starters on my new Kitfox build and the motor mount is further forward, so I didn't have a issue when I used the old type starter.  Here are pictures of my firewall on the rebuilt Kitfox.  In the one with the engine mounted, you can see the starter and how it fits with the depression in the firewall.  Especially if you zoom in on the picture.  After I was done, I thought that I may have been able to hammer out the depression on the firewall, and not add a second piece.  It would have been nicer if it worked, but stood a chance of ruining the whole firewall if it didn't.  JImChuk

fw7.jpg

fw 2.jpg

fw6.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I agree with the value of the forums.  I was devastated when yahoo was purchased, and the groups there were destroyed.  All of the years of knowledge that had been contributed, were lost. I've spent lots of time going through threads, here, there, and everywhere, trying to find answers before reposting a question that's been asked before.  Sometimes, you have to have the right incantation, or key phrase.. as what you guess isn't what it was posted under before. And if you find something of value... COPY IT.

I'd seen your firewall thread, and most of your kitfox build posts- it was one of the things that really had me going nuts- I had no idea that there were different starters, until I started looking at them a couple of days ago. Now, I know.. That's also why I left the breadcrumb of information in that picture for the next person that comes along. I first modeled the two sides of the lower firewall out of cardboard, and figured the dimensions for the pedals, and brakes, to clear.  I made the inset as per the instructions, and.. it didn't look right.  Motor's in the mount, so do a flat measurement and look at the clearance required for the starter, and it wasn't even close. I have an inset I'm going to go with that is almost the full depth of the well. I'm leery of cutting up a $400 starter unless it's absolutely needed. The passenger side doesn't have brakes, so the inset isn't (?) a major problem.  I've been digging through firewall coverings as well, and ended up ordering a carbon felt welding blanket which I'll fit to the backside of the firewall, and cover with.. something.  It is nice and light.

Thanks for the response, and guidance.

-Jack

Edited by AvidJack