Vg"s on a kitfox 1 wing

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Can I put vgs on a wing that does not have a solid leading edge  I have the ribs but I want to put the vgs on. 

Posted

yes they can be put on the fabric.

Posted

I was worried you had to have a flat surface, that the valleys between ribs would cause a problem. Thanks AK

2 people like this

Posted

Have u cn the inexpensive VG's they sell on ebay? Like $55 bucks, im thinking of ordering two sets one for each of my kitfox's 

Posted

Yeppers thats the ones. 

Posted

Ok guys, i got my vortex gen in the mail, ordered them off ebay, so not very good instrutions so im doing some reasurch to c where to place them and the spacing.  

Anyone have an opinion, best ive come across is the utube video the Alex (redfox) and his sugjestion on placement, but that is on a KF5? Im installin on a KF1 

image.jpeg

Posted

Here's a couple more videos that might give you some ideas, I looked for some videos that showed early model kitfoxs with the higher cambered wing but didn't find any with any narration. The first video below gives a couple of good warnings and he's the only guy ive seen so far that has the vgs on the skylight between the wings. 

Posted

Yea i have cn those, they helpful like the rest ive cn but still not the best but will have to work, between the one video i mentioned  (alex/ redfox) and the instructions. Im going to have to just go with it.  But i like the idea of them going over the top of fuse between wings to help that air there also. 

Posted

Yea i have cn those, they helpful like the rest ive cn but still not the best but will have to work, between the one video i mentioned  (alex/ redfox) and the instructions. Im going to have to just go with it.  But i like the idea of them going over the top of fuse between wings to help that air there also. 

So what did you finally wind up with on your VG install?  Which wing were you applying to?

Posted

Model 1 KF 

Posted

Follow-up.  Avid B, STOL.  Jab 2200

I sourced the v/g's from Freebird and installed per Harry Ribbletts recommendation in a letter that has been widely circulated - under the leading edge of the wing.  I've only managed 1 45 min flt and have not been able to fully assess but first impressions are stall is down to 30 and much more crisp.

Additionally (to muddy the waters), I spotted a comment by John Miller somewhere - he affixed v/g's on the L/side of the vert stab, just ahead of the rudder to help w/P-factor correction, (the Jab turns CW).  I had a huge rudder trim tab at nearly a 45 deg left bend for r/rudder assist. Well son of a gun!  I don't need that trim tab anymore.

Posted

Ok guys im headed to hanger for some vortex generator install on the Bluefox, going with the help and measurements that Randy and Leni suggested, will keep u all posted as to how it looks.   

2 people like this