What model is it?

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me what model Avid this is? I have just purchased it for £500 as I thought at that price it was worth a punt!

There can't be that many unfinished/not started kits around still?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Firesteve

Posted

Looks to be a Mark IV by the airframe and cowling. 

Posted

It has full sized doors, so it's not an A model.  Doesn't have some of the gussets around the rear spar carry through, so it's not a MK IV although it does have a MK IV cowl.  That leaves a B or a C model in my opinion.  I think the landing gear is worth the 500 by it's self if it will clean up.  Any idea on the serial #?  JImChuk

PS,  I typed this about 1/2 hr ago, but got a phone call before I could post it.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank's guys, not seen it in the 'flesh' yet as I have purchased it blind! It was the landing gear that made me purchase it though, 'Hen's teeth' here in the UK!!

Posted

I see in the second pic it even comes with a hanger! Great deal! Haha

1 person likes this

Posted

It has full sized doors, so it's not an A model.  Doesn't have some of the gussets around the rear spar carry through, so it's not a MK IV although it does have a MK IV cowl.  That leaves a B or a C model in my opinion.  I think the landing gear is worth the 500 by it's self if it will clean up.  Any idea on the serial #?  JImChuk

PS,  I typed this about 1/2 hr ago, but got a phone call before I could post it.  

I don't know Jim none of the models I've seen have a place to hange your jacket while flying.:lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

I don't know Jim none of the models I've seen have a place to hange your jacket while flying.:lmao:

I think that's an aftermarket owner installed option.  :lmao:The MK IV also has the added tubing above the back of the seat that the gas shock absorber (door hold opener) attaches to.  Don't think I see it on this plane, although there is the tube for a nose wheel.  The B model came with the fuselage tank, not sure the C did, and pretty sure the MK IV didn't.  Not that it means much in and of its self.  Things get added by owners as we all know.  Like closet space...:lmao:  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I have just spoken to the owner and he knows nothing about it. His brother purchased the kit thirteen years ago, made a start but then sadly died. The aircraft is one of three left abandoned in a barn from then until now. Hopefully all or most of the parts are there but I figure even if it is what is shown it was still a good deal. 

The weight limit for microlight aircraft in the UK is set to be raised to 600kg later this year, this would mean the Avid would qualify to be registered as such making it a much more desirable aircraft here.

Thank's for the comments and information, is there a definitive list anywhere detailing model differences? 

Posted

This post has some great details on model differences . . .

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/931-model-airframe-differences/#comment-5419

Posted

It has the offset vertical stabilizer. Didn't all model IV's come with the straight tail?

Posted (edited)

C models had wing tank(s), no fuse tank.  They also featured the offset fin, discontinued on the Mark IV.   Really silly if your prop is right-turning!  Kind of silly period, as P-factor varies with AoA and forward speed, and there's plenty of yaw authority.

Edited by Turbo

Posted

I did not see any fuel tank in the picture, did I miss something.  I do see the panel and dash cover blanks.

Posted

I think it is a virgin dash, not seen it yet but I'm picking it up later this week. I'm in the process of making a list of parts that would have come with the kit. The issue I have is the guy selling it is clearing his late brothers estate, there are several aircraft all partly built and a stack of spares all belonging to one aircraft or another all mixed up! He hasn't a clue what he is selling with regards to what goes with what!! 

I'll post more photographs one I have collected it. Cheers for the comments thus far.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think I may have got a bargain! Take a look and tell me what you think (I still don't know what model it is!)

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

Edited by Firesteve
wrong pictures!

Posted

Most of the kit I think?

Two sets of wings, standard and speed wings including a fuel tank for each of the different types. I can't find a serial number on the fuselage, should there be one? If so where would it be.

It is in much better condition than I had dared hope, very slight rusting in a few patches the worst being the control arms and fittings as these look as if they were originally chromed and have not survived very well. Apart from that I'm a happy man, just need to find out what model it is! bare in mind this is a UK aircraft and may be slightly different as our microlight regulations a quite strict!

Cheers Chaps!!!

Posted (edited)

Ya, I would think you got a deal.  Even more so in a way being where you are.  There are more bits and pieces floating around in the USA.  Looks like two sets of wings, and the grove gear is worth what you paid for it if it will clean up.  Typed this and then saw your reply, probably no serial # on the fuselage.  Don't think Avid put them on.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thank's Jim, the aluminium beam looks as if it is going to clean up very well, everything is brand new, wheels, brakes etc. The only issue is surface corrosion on the bearing races but I figure new ones will be the order of the day!

Posted

The shipping alone cost far more than you paid! Great deal.. Those tail wheels alone are $180.00 bucks American.

Posted

A mark IV with an offset fin!  Live & learn!

Posted

Cool project,

I wonder if the lift struts will fit a kitfox mk2...

Posted

Kitfox and Avid liftstruts are different.  Kitfox 1 and 2 are different from later model Kitfoxes as well.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That’s a avid C Model. I have B,C and MK4, so I think I see the difference. B have a other Steel construction backside the seat. Mk4 have other seat (shell) and other rudder. So it’s a Model c. 

Posted

i would love to find a project like the on you found.  any out there let me know

Posted (edited)

Ha, just spotted this old thread. We own this kit now. Not sure whether it will be sold or be kept as 'spares' for our MK4.

Out of interest folks, any idea what these parts are as they were missing by the time we purchased the kit.

Ad

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Edited by Ad Eves