Hangar size

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all. I'm in the process of building a hangar at a local small airfield. What I'd like to have and what I can afford are two different things. I've kind of come to a decision on a 36' x 36' with 12' eve height. I plan on sharing it with a buddy that has a legal eagle now but he's looking at a LSA, Kitfox, Avid or similar high wing down the road. I'm in a 45' x 40' now along with the legal eagle, my Avid MkIV and a Rans S7, plenty of room for all three. Unfortunately it's at another airport that is farther away than I'd like to be, plus I'm renting it. Anyone in a 36 x 36 or close? Moving planes around and pulling measurements I think 36x36 is big enough for two, I think. 

Opinions?

Thanks

Posted

The rule of thumb is bigger than what you think you’ll need. But I usually go with as much as I can afford.

Posted (edited)

I would think that you should be 40' wide at least.  That way you can end up about 39' inside.  Quite a few planes have a 36' wingspan, and that would leave a bit of room on each side.  You never know what the future will bring, and while going an extra 4' wider now will cost a bit more, in the future it will be impossible (for all practical purposes anyway)  Mine is 42' x 40' width.  Avid and Chief fit in real nice.  I built it myself, including the trusses.  You could save some money by not going so high, Mine it about 10' 6" to the trusses, and it's way higher than I need for the planes.  9' would probably be more then enough.  Don't know what you plan for doors, but mine has 4 sliding doors and works nice.  Built them as well.  Don't have posts to carry the outside ends of the track either.  If you have a big verticle folding door, you will loose a bunch of headroom because of it also.   JImChuk

PS  It's always cheaper to build it bigger before, then to try to enlarge it later.  

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Easy way to see is to make a scale model "bird farm" with an outline of the hangar and a scaled cut-out shape of each airplane. With a 30' span, high wing. 20' long Avid, and another 24' span high wing that is 13 feet long I bet they will not fit in a 36' without a lot of shuffling. But the bird farm will tell you. Good Luck!

Posted

Bird cage.  Kitfox and RV9 in a tiny T hangar.

IMG_7036.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

And to Jim's point on 40' width, it would really add to the value if you ever decide to sell.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I do agree, me and Dad built a hanger this passed summer for his PA12, 38' wing span. We did 8" I beams corner posts set 36" into concrete founation, 8" Ibeam on top of uprights, and roof on there, walls we will inclose this summer we hope, but We made the hanger 50'x 30'x14' ceiling 

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

My new 50 x 50 x 18 hangar was feeling a little small yesterday - junk accumulates faster than you can remove it!

1 person likes this

Posted

My new 50 x 50 x 18 hangar was feeling a little small yesterday - junk accumulates faster than you can remove it!

I find that even when I keep the doors closed, junk finds its way in. I am mystified.

2 people like this

Posted

That's who I bought my 50x50x18 kit from.  Good product, good service, and reasonable price.  It showed up when promised, and when I found a couple of missing items, they shipped them out quickly.  It went together easily - combined with an amazing job my concrete guy did setting the anchor bolts, it didn't need a single shim anywhere to be square and plumb.

1 person likes this

Posted

25'x35' I have hit my head 10-15 times I'm sure more but don't remember 

2CAA8E10224F_1597960546406.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Don't drop a washer you'll never find it back ha.