Model "C" 912ULS Conversion

11 posts in this topic

Posted

We received a grant to purchase a motor mount, cowling, radiator and oil tank mount to convert our Avid Flyer (currently outfitted with a 582LC) to a 912ULS. 

I'm a firm believer in the "Search" function, and I'm loath to ask this, but can anyone help direct me to a source for advice, part numbers, etc? I've emailed or called a few POCs, but haven't heard back. I have time constraints that force me to come here and beg for help! :unsure:

Thanks for any assistance!

Keith

Posted

Keith,  when I first read your post, I wondered what this was, (a scam maybe)  but when I looked back at your other posts I see that you are from the Blue Ridge community collage.  (BRCC)  At any rate, you may have a hard time finding what you need at any one place.  I think one of our members is now able to build the motor mount, but he will have to pipe up if he has the time to do it.  The new Avid outfit may or may not be doing any mounts, don't think they have advertised that they are available.  Curious why you want to switch to a 912 for a plane that was never intended to fly again?  JImChuk

Posted

Lol, no, I'm a real human and this isn't a scam. 

In order to teach the Rotax Service/Maintenance courses, we need a 912ULS equipped aircraft. The one we used the past few years is no longer available and converting the Avid will ensure we always have the asset on-hand.

Another option I've considered prior to taking ownership of the Avid, is to adapt the motor to our test cell for operational purposes. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I sincerely appreciate it.

Keith

Posted

I have an Avid C with the 912 ULS.  The best option is to use the Rotax ring mount.  The mount from firewall to ring mount will need to be custom made.  Leni on this forum can make a mount for or somebody local.  Kitfox has the isolator mount.  In all your probably looking a 2k or more.  So In summary there are three different mounts involved.  1. the mount from firewall to isolator mount.  2.  the isolator mount that comes from Kitfox and 3. the ring mount for engine.  You'll want to hold mount 1 as close to firewall as possible because if its to long you will get CG issues with the short avid c fuselage But you want it long enough so the air filters clear the firewall. 

Best of Luck.

Posted

Hi, I am the guy in San Diego who bought the yellow damaged Model C.    Still waiting to go out and pick it up, but I’m also in work building a steel fuselage Pietenpol with a Continental A75.  Fuselage, tail and landing gear are completed.  I had a local aircraft welder fab up my Piet’s engine mount from the plans and it turned out great.  

The Avid Website has the new Rotax 912 engine mount is being advertised for $965.  

Be Safe,

Doug

Posted

@Iv2plyguitar: may I ask if you had to modify anything from the firewall back like the geometry of the vertical stabilizer or elevator? I've learned that they are slightly tilted to compesate for the propeller wash of a 2-stroke which turns the other way and read that the Model IV does not have that anymore, they seem to have straight stabilizers and elevators instead. how did you fix this on yours?

I have a model c which i want to finish building with a 912. original MK iV mount is on its way to me.

regards

Pascal

Posted

looking for 912 mount for mk iv

Posted

Lol, no, I'm a real human and this isn't a scam. 

In order to teach the Rotax Service/Maintenance courses, we need a 912ULS equipped aircraft. The one we used the past few years is no longer available and converting the Avid will ensure we always have the asset on-hand.

Another option I've considered prior to taking ownership of the Avid, is to adapt the motor to our test cell for operational purposes. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I sincerely appreciate it.

Keith

For your project I would suggest you get a rotax 912 from a military drone...much cheaper and they are nearly the same.

1 person likes this

Posted

For your project I would suggest you get a rotax 912 from a military drone...much cheaper and they are nearly the same.

Where do you get those?

Posted

Yes please advise where to find the used drone engines, that would be cool and hopefully less expensive. 

Posted

Yes please advise where to find the used drone engines, that would be cool and hopefully less expensive. 

Last time there was one on Barnstormers with a few hundred Hrs for 4K. There is no specific place to find them, you just have to keep looking. 

1 person likes this