Tinted 0.060 4x8 Lexan Sheet $50

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Its time for me to replace the "glass" on my Kitfox.   I've seen a few with tinted and it looks GREAT from both outside and in.

However its almost impossible to come by tinted 0.060 Lexan local, and shipping is crazy expensive.

I did get a quote for tinted polycarbonate - $43.60/ 4x8 sheet  in a case of 26 sheets.  But I only need one.   

Anyone else (any 25 else) want 060 tinted Laxan sheet at a fantastic price (~$50 with taxes etc.) - have to pick up from SF Bay or Sac area.

Cheers,
Owen

Posted

I flew with tinted lexan for years and then got old. My glasses tint now and pretty dark so I found that it was a tad too much tint combined. So now I stick with clear and let the glasses do the tinting.

Posted

I buy mine from Wix its called Grey Lexan and shipping is not to bad because they roll it up.

Posted

Owen I’m shopping for lexan right now as well. Let me know if you find a local source?

Posted

Go with clear and use sunglasses - you can take the sunglasses off... 

2 people like this

Posted

I buy mine from a local glass shop.

Posted

Let me double check but I'm sure this is the same brand I used recently to replace my polycarbonate. I would not recommend it. I'm careful with how I clean it and it already shows a lot of surface scratches. I will let you know for sure. 

1 person likes this

Posted

PETG is also a viable windscreen material. Learned about it from a friend who raced cars. They used it instead of polycarbonate. I had some and used it for door glass and it worked great. Have not tried it as a windscreen yet. Less expensive than polycarbonate and as I understand it can be formed with heat as well as cold bent. Supposed to be about 70% the impact resistance of polycarbonate.

Posted

After some on line searching, I see that the Makrolon is just a brand name for a Bayer polycarbonate, the Lexan is the brand name for a Saudi company that makes their brand of polycarbonate. Both make "abrasion resistant" versions. I will try to find some on the web.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have found the specs for the polycarbonate materials, and I think they each have several variants for different applications, including abrasion resistance and non-static electric. Otherwise, I bet the various brands are virtually identical.

The abrasion resistant types are priced high, they seem to go for over $300 per 4x8 sheet, while most sources sell plain vanilla poly for about $50 a sheet. I am doing my windshield in the spring, I think I will buy a half sheet of the abrasion resistant stuff. I can provide the links I found if anyone is interested.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have found the specs for the polycarbonate materials, and I think they each have several variants for different applications, including abrasion resistance and non-static electric. Otherwise, I bet the various brands are virtually identical.

The abrasion resistant types are priced high, they seem to go for over $300 per 4x8 sheet, while most sources sell plain vanilla poly for about $50 a sheet. I am doing my windshield in the spring, I think I will buy a half sheet of the abrasion resistant stuff. I can provide the links I found if anyone is interested.

I worked in the eye glass industry for a couple of years making prescription eye wear. We always had to coat the polycarbonate lens to make them scratch resistant. The coating we used was a UV sensitive liquid. We spun the lens and sprayed the liquid into the center in a coating machine to get an even coating and then transferred the lens to a UV chamber to harden the coating. There may be a way to do a similar process on a windshield to protect it from scratches.  Here's a link describing some of the properties of polycarbonate.  https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-polycarbonate-pc

1 person likes this

Posted

I contacted the guy in the ebay ad listed above, he said he could provide a 48x60 piece of 1/16" abrasion resistant polycarbonate for $210. I think I will trigger that in the spring to do my windshield.

New message from: popdisplays Top Rated Seller(38,103TurquoiseShooting Star)

I have a piece 48x65 $210
you pay shipping

Posted

I contacted the guy in the ebay ad listed above, he said he could provide a 48x60 piece of 1/16" abrasion resistant polycarbonate for $210. I think I will trigger that in the spring to do my windshield.

you pay shipping

Find out what what it's coated with if you can. Many of the early coatings used on polycarbonate eye glasses de laminated with time. The coating we used breaks down from alcohol in cleaners. Some break down from flex. Others from heat. As long as you stay within the limits of the coating you should get some good results.

Posted (edited)

you pay shipping

You wanna pay 210 bucks for a 48x65 piece of unknown ebay plastic.   When you can get a 48x96 piece of quality stuff from wicks for 83 bucks.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/aircraft-plastics-laminates/plastic-sheet

Edited by TJay

Posted

branded Macralon, marked by the manufacturer, is unknown? I can read, I'll send you a link to the alphabet, so you can figure it out. And it is abrasion resistant, vs the regular that you list, at a fair price. I have no idea why some folks think Ebay is a pejorative. Half my plane comes from Ebay.

Posted

Oh Relax. I love ebay I'm on it every night snooping around.  All I was saying is you have no idea what your buying till its on your door step.