Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need 582 motor mount

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally got around to cutting off the motor mount on my Avid A.  Got the tubes all cleaned up and a new section tacked on.  Does anyone have a mount that will fit an A or do I have to build one from scratch?  I'm gonna extend the foot well also so  will be a start. Does anyone have pics of cutting the mount off and cleaning up the front tubes and supports?  I found some that Jim Chuk did I think. Looking for more ideas. Thanks, Jim

20190223_160738.jpg

20190223_160728.jpg

Posted

No, it wasn't me.  What I would do though is get the mount I intended to use, and bolt the bushing onto it that you will weld onto your fuselage.  That will locate all your attachment points on the front of the fuselage and insure that the mount will fit when you are done.  I think extending the foot well is mainly how you shape the firewall, although there is one more cross tube infront of the rudder pedal bracket mount fittings and two verticle tubes going off that front crosstube up where your middle cross tube is.  Maybe you can make out what I'm saying in these two pictures.  I'll look for some better ones.  JImChuk

Photo1018.jpg

Photo1005.jpg

Posted

Sorry Jim. I went back and looked and it was Fillmanw's rebuild project that I saw.  I have more tubing coming next week so I can add those tubes you're talking about.  I'm thinking if I build a new mount using 3/4" x .065 wall tube.  Is that strong enough? From looking at the photos it looks like you used push-pull cables for your rudder and elevator.  How difficult were those to add?  Thanks, Jim

Posted

Sorry Jim. I went back and looked and it was Fillmanw's rebuild project that I saw.  I have more tubing coming next week so I can add those tubes you're talking about.  I'm thinking if I build a new mount using 3/4" x .065 wall tube.  Is that strong enough? From looking at the photos it looks like you used push-pull cables for your rudder and elevator.  How difficult were those to add?  Thanks, Jim

The Mount holding my Jabiru on is 5/8" .035 and its plenty strong

Posted

I didn't change any of the controls from factory.  Maybe you are seeing the battery cables, trim cable, and also the piece of blue pex tubing for a wire conduit.  The rudder uses 3/32" SS cable, and the elevator uses the 1/2" steel push-pull tube.  JImChuk

Posted

After looking closer at the pic, I do see the blue pex tubing. The elevator control rod I need to fabricate.  I ordered all the parts, just need to get them put together. 

Thanks TJAY.  I think I might have one already built.  Jim