A different film from Fred...

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Playing with my new toy... This is just a test but expect 360 footage to included in my future films. A very different way of filming - most of the work is done in post production and the workflow is rather cumbersome - but rewarding..?

Let me know what you think! 

10 people like this

Posted

That is SWEET!

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred, your choice of music is always simply great! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice Fred.  Now I'm wondering how it's done....????  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Very nice Fred.  Now I'm wondering how it's done....????  JImChuk

I'm using a "360 degrees" camera (it is the latest trend in action cam...). It it mounted on a stick in front of the wing and films "everything". Then in post production you chose what part of "everything" you want to show (or keep everything and give your audience virtual reality glasses).

The camera is an "Insta360 One x"

Here are some pictures of how the camera is mounted:

IMG_4300.thumb.JPEG.12ad14043d7498a21b91IMG_4299.thumb.JPEG.14ea42bbdabadf32f84fIMG_4297.thumb.JPEG.aeaf8cce881f4c87a9c8 

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this

Posted

That's about as neat as canned corn!

1 person likes this

Posted

That is so cool! Is it waterproof?

Posted (edited)

So you edit out the camera and stick, OK. 

But how in the world does it give a 15 ft "off the wingtip" view??   

How can it see the around the tip of the wingtip?

Dang!

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

That is so cool! Is it waterproof?

no, not waterproof but there is an under water housing available for diving and rumours about a shallow water casing to come.

Posted

So you edit out the camera and stick, OK. 

But how in the world does it give a 15 ft "off the wingtip" view??   

How can it see the around the tip of the wingtip?

Dang!

the camera actually edits out camera body and stick itself - pure magic!

1 person likes this

Posted

I was wondering the same thing how in the world does it get those shots.  The most impressive selfy stick I have ever seen.

1 person likes this

Posted

Magic, has to be !

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Amazing!!! fine job Fred!!

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

One of the makers I follow on YouTube is Naomi Wu. She's been making 360 videos from time to time but I've never seen hers do the edits yours do. Her videos when watched on my tablet or phone (touch screen device) are truly 360 degrees. I can swipe my screen to pan the camera around in her videos and even see above and behind her. Here's a link to one of her videos featuring a swimsuit she designed and printed on her 3d printer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5ouqs0dro Fred does your camera do this? Is this a difference in cameras or software? Both editing methods are interesting.

Posted (edited)

One of the makers I follow on YouTube is Naomi Wu. She's been making 360 videos from time to time but I've never seen hers do the edits yours do. Her videos when watched on my tablet or phone (touch screen device) are truly 360 degrees. I can swipe my screen to pan the camera around in her videos and even see above and behind her. Here's a link to one of her videos featuring a swimsuit she designed and printed on her 3d printer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5ouqs0dro Fred does your camera do this? Is this a difference in cameras or software? Both editing methods are interesting.

Yes I can do the same, it is basically the same thing (except for the upper drawer thing). The difference is that I'm telling you where to look "inside the sphere" that is the projected photo while she let you chose where to look. I have posted a 360 photo on FaceBook (where it shows correctly, it would show equirectangular here) from inside my cockpit where you can move around all look wherever you want. If you click it should come up in a viewer and you can move around.

The look around views as well as "tiny planet" and other possibilities are fun to play with and have their utility. I have difficulties seeing a longer film in full 360 - how would you know where to look, and when? You would miss the murder.. My film here is probably the longest sequence I'll ever do (and it was just for test), I see 360 as a possibility to add some hard to get and sometimes spectacular viewpoints into a "regular" 2D film. 

And, by the way, where did you look in the Naomi "SexyCyborg" Wu video? I think I could have edited so you got the same view without moving around... 

Edited by FredStork
Taking the mickey out of Cloud Dancer...

Posted

I clicked the link and played with the camera that's really neat. If I had anything worth looking at here in Iowa I would get one of those.

And p.s. I just checked your fuel level looks like you got enough gas for another flight so lets go Mr.

1 person likes this

Posted

Watched that one and a 360 view cam is a total waste for her.  There was only 2 really big things I was focusing on the whole video.

Posted

With that much silicone, you could probably caulk all the doors and windows in your next spec home.....:lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

But Fred's video really did have nicer music 

I mean we've got to give him that right?

1 person likes this

Posted

With that much silicone, you could probably caulk all the doors and windows in your next spec home.....:lmao:

It does make me more confident in the strength of 3d printed items...

1 person likes this

Posted

With that much silicone, you could probably caulk all the doors and windows in your next spec home.....:lmao:e

You guys crack me up.

She always gets asked about her assets and mentioned she admired Dolly Parton growing up. I'd like to see a video where she gets to meet her idol. She does travel to the United States from time to time so maybe somebody will make it happen for her someday. I'm sure Dolly would be willing to meet her if she knew about her. While her assets might get views it's her valid content that keep them coming back. She's known for her programming skills and she plays with cnc lasers, cnc mills, 3d printers. A pilot with her along as a copilot building airplane mods would get more views than Trent Palmer in a very short time and that's a fact. She's always designing camera mounts and electrical mods and does reviews on the latest tech items out of China. Some vendor would be wise to hire her to promote their product at the Oshkosh air show.

Posted

With that much silicone, you could probably caulk all the doors and windows in your next spec home.....:lmao:e

You guys crack me up.

She always gets asked about her assets and mentioned she admired Dolly Parton growing up. I'd like to see a video where she gets to meet her idol. She does travel to the United States from time to time so maybe somebody will make it happen for her someday. I'm sure Dolly would be willing to meet her if she knew about her. While her assets might get views it's her valid content that keep them coming back. She's known for her programming skills and she plays with cnc lasers, cnc mills, 3d printers. A pilot with her along as a copilot building airplane mods would get more views than Trent Palmer in a very short time and that's a fact. She's.  always designing camera mounts and electrical mods and does reviews on the latest tech items out of China. Some vendor would be wise to hire her to promote their product at the Oshkosh air show.

There is some truth to that...  2.8 million views, 10k subscribers, 8 videos... People really likes an old Cessna 150...

Posted

This whole topic now just went "T!t$ Up"....   

Literally!    :lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

This whole topic now just went "T!t$ Up"....   

Literally!    :lmao:

I didn't notice, I must have been looking juste the micro second they were covered by her hair... But she does a great job getting it out of the way on her first solo...

2 people like this

Posted

Musta been kinda funny when she first walked it the FBO looking for lesssons. 

3 CFI's having coffee....