Yamaha Engine Mounts and FWF components for Avid!

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

FYI:

Over in the Yamaha Aircraft Conversions Facebook group we have William Langford who is making  an Avid Mk 4 engine mount jig for the Apex engine.  He is also planning to offer headers, oil tank, coolant tank, and throttle reverser for the Avid which would take about 75% of the work out of a conversion.

The RX-1 also fits in the mount but it has a prop location that is about 2.5" lower than the apex.

The mount weighs 7.28 lbs.

Williams contact number is 701-651-0122

Williams brother Barak is the fabricator, his number is  520 235 9072

FB_IMG_1551021083010.jpg

FB_IMG_1551021059258.jpg

FB_IMG_1551021068282.jpg

FB_IMG_1551021098794.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
2 people like this

Posted

For my information, does the MK4 share a mount with any other models?

Posted

Kitfox 1-4 have the same mounting locations.  Kitfox 5 and later are different.  Avid B, C and MK IV are the same but not interchangeable with Kitfox mounts.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim

Are the Heavy Hauler and Magnum just MK4 variants, sharing the same engine mount?

Posted

I'm pretty sure the magnum is different, although I've never had any experiences with a magnum.

Posted

I have to admit I'm jealous!!  Any Idea what he is going to charge for a mount?? As you and I both know making a mount is very time consuming. 

Posted (edited)

Willam is extremely reasonable.   He said it will be right about $1000, which is about what you would pay for a 912 mount for kitfox.

He is also planning to offer headers, oil tank, coolant tank, and throttle reverser for the Avid.

Next he hopes to make up KF fwf parts.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

The 912 mount is a lot a lot different mount. It is two piece and includes a dynafocal ring which is much harder to fabricate and includes additional rubber dampeners and hardware. I paid $550 for my Zenith mount from the Factory.

In all fairness mounts are time consuming. People will pay the price because its easier than fabricating one. I have built three mounts and know the material cost so it would be worth it to me to build my own. I guess each of us have to weigh the cost against available equipment and skill set. 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Vance ya did good on that $550 mount!

Heres CPS at $995 and it looks like just for the frame and no hardware.

Oh and for sure if you can build it yourself then that's pretty much always the way to go.  For me I'd weigh how long (reaaally long) it takes me against just going out and doing my day job and paying someone who is better at it   ;)

Screenshot_2019-02-28-14-22-25.png

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

My Zenith mount was just the bed mount. Boy those ring mounts have raised in price a lot in the last few years. When I was looking for a ring mount you could find them new for $625. I have a brand new ring mount. I got it from a guy who was rebuilding a plane after he wrecked it. The insurance company bought it for him and he didn't need it. We will just says I stole it. :). The crappy thing about that Rotax ring mount is that it's only the part that hooks to the 912. You still have to fab or buy the FWF mount. :wacko:.

Posted (edited)

Following. I have the stratus ea81 in my Mkiv now but the Yamaha looks very appealing. Anyone know the all in weight difference between the two?

Edited by Elkonastick

Posted (edited)

My nsi e81 paperwork said 225lbs fwf, which was probably optimistic.

The Yamaha comes in around 170-185 for most people.  Below is Steve henrys weight worksheet

FB_IMG_1539212466146.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

William's phone number is 701-651-0122 for anyone interested in his mount or other FWF parts for the Yamaha.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

My nsi e81 paperwork said 225lbs fwf, which was probably optimistic.

The Yamaha comes in around 170-185 for most people.  Below is Steve henrys weight worksheet

FB_IMG_1539212466146.jpg

The NSI FWF package I removed from my model 2 was 262 lbs  minus radiator.  But that includes prop and engine mount.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is fantastic! Getting excited for my model C /RX-1 build! 

Edited by TSIMKO
1 person likes this

Posted

Does the yamaha change the firewall? Would there still be a footwell if you decided to install the yamaha on a model IV kitfox? Is a footwell necessary? Im not even sure the Pedels go back far enough to go into the footwell. 

Posted

I can't answer the part of the question about the Yamaha, but the footwell is more helpfull, the longer your legs are.  As far as the pedals going into the foot well, they will go as far as the rudder cables let them.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

My RX-1 tucks nicely between the footwell cutouts.  I made my own mount though and got it to fit in that slot.

But I don't know for sure if the mounts advertised in this post are built that way.  Guess you'd have to call and see on that.