Covering started.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Resized_20190220_175053_7457.jpeg

Resized_20190220_163641_3812.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Good Luck! I just finished covering mine up thru the filler coat. Now, 40 miles of masking tape and paper before painting. Just all part of the game.

1 person likes this

Posted

I do like covering an airplane, but the finish tapes can get a bit tedious after a while.  When using polyfiber system, they want a good bedding of poly brush under the finish tapes, and that is a lot of brush work.  I do draw pencil lines where ever the tapes will go, and in the last couple of covering jobs have used a small spray gun to spray the bedding coats.  The gun will shoot a 3/4" wide pattern, and it's easy and fast to do.  Fewer brush lines then as well.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Resized_20190305_162143_7324.jpeg

Resized_20190305_162138_8556.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good I to really enjoyed the covering process.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, looking great. I have the same stuff. I did find that it seemed to sag after polybrush. I accidentally did one wing side at 275 instead of 250, and it turned out better. Here is a pic of my wingtip with the rivets showing a little. I'm just ready for stripes on the wingtips. I had delamination from using blue 3M maskimg tape on the wingtips. Only use the green stuff.853FB6B0-01E0-45DD-B776-7005B71FC51D.thu

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Fabric should be shrunk up to 350 degrees on the last pass if you can keep from bending what's under the covering.  If I'm understanding you correctly, 275 is to low of heat.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Things are going very well  

20190404_183526.jpg

20190404_183539.jpg

20190404_160524.jpg

20190404_160538.jpg

20190404_183523.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Damm now ur moving along!! And looks nice!  I always liked the checkers on tail feathers. 

Posted

Fabric should be shrunk up to 350 degrees on the last pass if you can keep from bending what's under the covering.  If I'm understanding you correctly, 275 is to low of heat.  JImChuk

I followed the book, which said not to shrink it all the way to 350. The build manual recommended 250, saying that shrinking it tighter would pull the fabric off the undercamber wing. It wasn’t stitched the first time. Since that had held up, I followed the same procedure. Without stitching the ribs, I wanted to be cautious not to overtighten it and pull it loose. All that aside, I might stitch the ribs and shrink it tighter next time. Anyway, I hear what you’re saying. I have the polyfiber manual, too. I’m satisfied with the overall results, the way it is. 

1 person likes this

Posted

FWIW, my polyfiber Avid MK IV undercamber is not stitched, it was done by a great builder in 1995, and is still tight and perfect. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Good Luck! I just finished covering mine up thru the filler coat. Now, 40 miles of masking tape and paper before painting. Just all part of the game.

"just a part of the polyfiber game" says he who used Oratex and, once covered, was s done... 

3 people like this