Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox identification

32 posts in this topic

Posted

i have a kitfox kit, but no idea what model it is. Is there someone who can point me in the right direction?

Posted

6DB6F9B2-63EE-4395-BECA-2C30914ECFD3.jpeg

04245563-8136-46C2-81C6-2FED6D6B5D4D.jpeg

12315B97-1A25-4959-9017-C6A4B529ECD9.jpeg

403E94C8-21D8-4BE6-9CE8-8F080DD6A0A1.jpeg

C19FCEE0-CE04-4D7C-A80A-DEC86BB0AD57.jpeg

DB01F366-8560-472D-BC15-A66D8E63F40D.jpeg

Posted

Kitfox 1 has a 36" wide fuselage at the top back of the seat, 2,3, and 4 are 39 1/2" wide.  Kitfox 1 and 2 have 98" long lift struts center to center of bolt holes on front lift strut.  Kitfox 3 and 4 are 108" if my memory is correct (but way longer then the earlier ones).  Kitfox 1,2,and 3 have undercambered wings, Kitfox 4 is more or less flat.  That should narrow it down fairly easily.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Looking at the door frame and rudder I am going to guess model 2.  If you have the N number you can look it up and it should tell you what it was registered as.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
Edited it to mod 2 after more coffee

Posted

Kit never put together

Posted

did you get any paperwork with it or a build manual?

Posted

None yet. But here’s the seat back and the wings. Doesn’t look too undercambered

D67DE2E4-6597-4D0C-A964-BA5FAE598ABA.jpeg

1B783CB1-A670-4F2C-81EC-85BD1B31E7E9.jpeg

Posted

Also it appears there is a 2 stroke engine mount, but does that look like a 912 mount in black?

Posted

What's the deal with all the red and white painted parts? It looks like there's an N number on the wheel pants and the cowling looks like the plane was stood on its nose.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Those rib profiles match the model 4 ribs I have hanging on the wall. Sure doesn't look like a 1, 2 or 3 rib. But you can see the rib tail in the picture like a 1, 2 or 3 rib. So ?  Look at the size of those wheel pants, George Washington could have crossed the Delaware in those.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted (edited)

It's not a model 1 cause it's to wide.  To me the wing ribs look like they are undercambered.  Did you measure the liftstrut?  That will tell if it's a 2 or 3 if the wings are undercambered.  If the wings are more or less flat on the bottom, it's a 4.  JImChuk

PS  pictures are of a Kitfox 1 strut.  Kitfox 2 are same length.  3 and 4 are about 10" longer

PS PS at first glance I thought the the black motor mount was a 912 mount.  Should be 4 arms and rubber mounts that come off the four sockets that hold the rubber mounts.  Now that I study it some more, I'm not sure.  Set it off by it'self, and get some more pictues.  

Photo0164.jpg

Photo0165.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Those rib profiles match the model 4 ribs I have hanging on the wall. Sure doesn't look like a 1, 2 or 3 rib. But you can see the rib tail in the picture like a 1, 2 or 3 rib. So ?  Look at the size of those wheel pants, George Washington could have crossed the Delaware in those.

Those are definitely undercambered wing ribs. You can see the extended mounts for the flapperons and the undercambered shape clearly.  These are not model IV wings. 

The doors are flat bottomed so it’s not a 1.  

This is is either a 2 or 3 model depending on the lift struts. 

1 person likes this

Posted

It's not a model 1 cause it's to wide.  To me the wing ribs look like they are undercambered.  Did you measure the liftstrut?  That will tell if it's a 2 or 3 if the wings are undercambered.  If the wings are more or less flat on the bottom, it's a 4.  JImChuk

PS  pictures are of a Kitfox 1 strut.  Kitfox 2 are same length.  3 and 4 are about 10" longer

PS PS at first glance I thought the the black motor mount was a 912 mount.  Should be 4 arms and rubber mounts that come off the four sockets that hold the rubber mounts.  Now that I study it some more, I'm not sure.  Set it off by it'self, and get some more pictues.  

The black mount still appears to be a bed mount for a 582, only with the side provision to attach the cowl.  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Definitely not a 4 they they have a truss design cut into the wing ribs. So either a 2 or a 3 

Looks like a 3 to me the red wing struts look like they have a 3/8th bolt hole in the bottom.

Edited by TJay

Posted

The black mount still appears to be a bed mount for a 582, only with the side provision to attach the cowl.  

When I first saw the four sockets where the rubber mounts go, I thought of the 912 mount, but looking closer, I see they aren't facing forward, but rather point up. So I went and looked at my Kitfox 1 pictures, and looks like the bed mount there.  Not saying it's a Kitfox 1, I know it's not going by the shape of the door, and the width of the fuselage.  The picture below is of the Kitfox 1 I had.   JImChuk

Photo0163.jpg

Posted

Looks like a hodge podge of parts.  The cowling, wheel pants, struts, flaperons and gear legs are off a plane that that has seen some action.  I would guess that it was wrecked and someone found another fuse to use to put the plane back together.  

2 people like this

Posted

That would be my guess, also. Why would one paint the struts, wheel pants and cowling before completing the kit. Let alone damaged cowling and other clues. Could be anything.

1 person likes this

Posted

What are your plans?  Build it, flip it or ? Are you in KY?

Posted

Yea I keep coming across these planes. I like to tinker. Probably trying to be like Jim Chuck. I’ve got an Avid C getting ready to go out the door once I fly the phase 1 off, 2 mk4’s that need motors and one needs wings covered, and the kitfox that needs to be completely built. I’ll likely tackle the KF last.

Posted

I'm looking for a project. I'm near Louisville, KY.

Posted

Yea I keep coming across these planes. I like to tinker. Probably trying to be like Jim Chuck. 

There are some things you maybe shouldn't wish for...…..  :lmao::lmao::lmao:Unowho :-)

2 people like this

Posted

In hindsight I probably should have saved my nickels and moved up to a model 3 or 4 Kitfox. They have more options for engines than a 1 or 2. But they do cost more also. But that ship has already sailed so I'll work with the 2. Hirth has increased their prices quite a bit. Must now be made of gold. Everything covered now and ready for paint, except masking off miles of tubing.

Posted

I don't know Allen, not that much difference between the 2 and 3.  100 lb gross weight difference, but you are pretty light so that shouldn't be much of an issue.  Also if you run an aircooled 2 stroke, they are pretty light as well.  I'm guessing that for you, either one would be fine.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

All figures show it will work fine, but then a Kitfox can't read or add. Don't laugh but I am shooting for around 430-450 empty weight. I think it can be done.  But, we'll see!

Posted

It can be done Allen. I didn’t try too hard and ended up with 458.