Speed wings extended with old short flaperons

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello

Please tell me what happen if i extended the speedwing and flaperons its no extended? Can be some problem?

Someone  have experience? Please help  me 

Tnk from.Romania

Posted

I don't have any first hand experience, but I'm guessing it would make for a slower roll rate.  I think I remember reading about it being done.   Probably wouldn't hurt all that much in most situations.  Another thought would be to move the flaperons out to the ends of the wings and add an aluminum tube at the butt end to make them the right length.  The further out the flaperons are, the more leverage they would have. JImChuk 

Posted

''The Avid Flyer does not require the flapperons to be extended if the wing span is extended as on avid flyer. The roll authority is adequate (in fact, good) with the standard short flapperons of the Speedwing. ,,
This is answer of Francis Donaldson chief engineer from LAA UK .
I'm looking for an opinion from someone who's flying like that

anyone knows something?

51525891_2267913363221434_1255366653688938496_n.jpg

Posted

When i build my extended speed wing i move the flaperons out and installed a tube to reconnect them. It fly's like a dream with a very good roll rate.

Posted

Hi .Can you tell me what tipe of tube? Dimension and  tipe of material?

Posted

I flew a buddies that had the wing extension and the flaperons moved out to the end.  He just drilled out the rivets that held the control arm on and slipped a piece of tube over the tubing and inserted an extension inside it and riveted it all back together.  The next size larger tubing in .058 wall thickness will fit nicely over the tube.

:BC:

Posted

Use 4130 tubing.