Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Airdale with Harley engine on barnstormers

82 posts in this topic

Posted

Just saw this on barnstormers.  JImChuk

AVID AIRDALE • $15,000 • CHECK IT OUT Up for sale is my Avid Airdale. I hate to sell it but I’m looking at buying a twin engine and need the money and room. It received its airworthy certificate back in April and has flown a few times. It has a HarleyDavidson 88b twin cam done by Air-hog. WarpDrive Prop. Electric elevator trim, Hydralic brakes, Has folding wings a one person job. There are a few things that need to be finished like the doors and strut/wheel fairings. Call or message me for more info picturs but only if you’re interested in buying it. I’m open to trades espacally for cheaper Cessna 310 or similar. • Contact Tom Mullally - ULTRAFLIGHT LLC, Owner - located LeMars, IA USA • Telephone: 712-540-1665 • BUSINESS CARD • Posted January 29, 2019 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1548813220thumb.jpg?modified=1548813317thumb.jpg?modified=1548813513

Posted

Hey I know that airplane Wish I had the money Them airdales are darn nice.

Posted

Wonder how many HP that puts out? I have seen a direct drive Harley engine in a couple of experimentals years ago. Never seen them fly.

Posted

Not gonna buy it, but dang is that cool!  

I’ve owned a couple Harley’s in my life, they are better bikes than their reputation.  Nostalgic, traditional, American.  Sure, most jap and euro bikes will smoke ‘em, but that wasn’t the point.

Posted

That is a nice plane. Lots of room in the cockpit with the wide fuse and dropped floor. I think a 50 gallon barrel will fit in the cargo area from the ads I remember. I know nothing about that conversion tho and I am pretty skeptical of conversions in general.

Posted

I see why it's only flown a couple of times.  That motor will not make enough power to go anywhere with that plane.

Posted

I wonder about the newer V-Rod engine in the Harley. I watched the original testing video and it was a powerful engine and ran great. I still believe there is a great undiscovered engine out there just waiting for someone to mount on an airframe. It might be a cycle engine, ATV engine or something no one considered at an affordable price, or at least affordable till someone starts selling them. Everything seems to be leaning to water cooled engines, but the right one could be the one that is a perfect match. We homebuilders are a cheap, err, I mean thrifty bunch.

Posted

The V-Rod engine like most other ATV and Motorcycle engines are integrated with a transmission.  This eliminates them for aviation conversion.

Posted

I know of one Airdrome Aeroplane Folker that is flying great with a Yamaha engine locked in second gear on the transmission.  I don't think that eliminates an engine, might even open up new possibilities. Weight might come into play of course with a setup like that. Money seems to be the driving force behind engine development. A business has to justify money spent vs. possible return. We aren't a big market for small engines. Most airframes are designed around a certain engine in production. We already know a Avid/Fox older airframe won't handle a 912 type engine or comparable weight. Me, I've always got my eyes open for possibilities.

Posted

Av8r, why do you say the HD does not make enough power to go anywhere with that plane?  It is in Phase 1 with flight time on it.

Posted

It was first flown a couple of times a year ago then abandoned.  I’d bet because it is seriously underpowered.  It was flown, found to be a complete dog, now being dumped for a fraction of what a good flying plane would get.

I dont buy the comment that after building this plane he all of a sudden decided he needed a twin. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have an opportunity every year of being involve at the AirVenture UL area.  I’ve seen many of these alternative engines in person.  I see which ones fly and which ones do not.  The last Hog-Air powered plane I saw there was a Pietenpal.  These fly reasonably well with a 40 hp model T or a 75 hp Corvair engine.  With the HD engine it was barely operable on the field.  The next year the plane came back with a Corvair. 

Posted

I don't mind a V twin between my legs but I have 40 years experience with various models of Harley Davidson engines and I don't see this as anything but a novelty. Would be a dam nice airframe to put a good powerplant on. Did it sell ?

1 person likes this

Posted

It sold.  I bought it.  Tom, the seller, is in the process of buying a twin.  The HD Twin Cam has a 95ci big bore kit in it.  Originally rated, from what I can find, @ 102 hp / 111 ft lbs torque.

Posted

Just received the amended SAC for my area after DAR inspection.  Looking forward to flight testing to finish the 35 hours remaining for Phase 1.

Posted

Welcome to the group,  we will be wanting to hear your impressions and thoughts on the whole setup.  Pictures and video are always welcome on the group.  Have you flown Kitfoxes or Avids before??   Not nosey, just curious in a friendly way.  :-)   JImChuk

Posted

Welcome that plane is quite comfy and roomy I wish I could find out where Airdale was buying there seats from.

Also once  you pick this plane up where will you be locating it to?

Posted

Morning guys!  I sold my 1990 KF2 w/582 grey head a  month ago.  Loved that plane but needed more utility.  Found the Airdale about the same time I found my buyer for the KF2, so it was a quick turn acquiring the Airdale and is currently in my shop - going over the AC thoroughly.  The only puzzling issue I have at the moment is the thrust line of the engine in comparison to the factory cowl and firewall.  It has at least a 3 to 4 degree angle up from what I can tell.  I haven't measured it yet, but plan on it this morning.  Any thoughts on why that would have been built into the engine mount?  The only thing I can issue is compensation for the 45 degree V Twin mounted upright and the forces created?

Posted

Some photos of the situation may help.

I sincerely hope it works well for you.

Posted (edited)

The prop hub center is about 3" lower than the plane of the horizontal stabilizer.  The plane of the prop disk to the horizontal stab plane is approximately 0.5 degree inclined up (rearward at the top).  The firewall is about 3.25 degrees inclined up (rearward at the top).  Does anyone have a side view showing the thrust line of a Mark IV?

Edited by ne14Yah

Posted

I have scoured this site and online and I am unable to locate any information or drawing that would show thrust line information.  Does it not exist?

Posted

If it flys good and level in cruise, and handles good, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted (edited)

As Av8r requested, here are some pics showing the horizontal stabilizer extended forward through the firewall and prop disc.

HStab.jpg

HStab Extended Mid.jpg

HStab Extended Front.jpg

HStab Extended Fire Wall.jpg

HStab Extended Cowl.jpg

Prop Cowl Angle Difference.jpg

KF4 Sideview Comps.jpg

Prop Cowl Angle Difference.jpg

Edited by ne14Yah
Remove picture

Posted

How does it fly?  Tail low? Tail high? Level?

Posted (edited)

I haven't flown it yet.  The orange string in the pics is the horizontal stabilizer extended.  You can see a horizontal black marker line at the firewall where it hits the firewall.  On the KF4, it shows the horizontal stabilizer extending through almost the top of the door (about eye level) in KF's 3 view drawing, so there is quite a difference between this Avid Airdale and the KF4.  I would imagine that the plane of the wing chord, thrust line and horizontal stabilizer line would be critical in stability.

The yellow highlighted line is the KF4 thrust line.  The orange line is my horizontal stabilizer line extended, roughly and would represent a thrust line 1" below that.  The purple line is an extension of the KF4 horizontal stabilizer line extended roughly according to the drawing.  The pencil line represents the wing chord and angle of incidence.

KF4 Sideview Comps.jpg

Edited by ne14Yah
More info to add