Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any a&p near hazel, ky

24 posts in this topic

Posted

been searching hard for an a&p that isn’t scared of doing a conditional. The last thing my DaR is an a&p to sign off in her.

Posted

Don't know where in the sam hill Hazel, KY is, but I am in the middle of WV.  Look up the FAA website and see how many are in KY and then pick up the phone. Only thing different than an annual on a Cub or T-craft and a conditional insp on a Kitfox or Avid is the engine part. A lot of A&P's aren't comfortable with 2 strokes or anything besides a GA engine. The airframe part is a lot easier on an Avid/Fox.  No AD's but I, myself, require all service advisories from the factory to be done. I don't travel too far anymore, but there are ones out there who do.

Posted

Local EAA Chapter is a great source of non-lilly livered A&Ps, folks who know experimentals and sign them off easily.

Posted

Might be the best if you are able to find an AnP that moved on to other things, and just does it as a sideline.  That's what I have, and he is nice to work with.  Being that he's been a friend for quite a while helps as well.  I would say call every AnP you can find, and ask them if they know of any others if they aren't interested in doing your inspection.  JImChuk

Posted

I’m confused. New airplane no AW certificate??? What do you need an A&P for. If you built it and are applying for the AW cert then you sign off the logbook for the DAR. 

Posted

New aircraft? C5 is correct,you sign your logbook. No A&P needed for initial AW insp. If you are the builder. I am confused and slow.

Posted

If you get the builders repairman certificate. I have to drive 4 hours to get mine because they wont do it through the mail. Maybe that is his issue.

Posted

If I remember right, this plane was built  in North Carolina and on the first flight the fuel caps weren't vented and he dead sticks into a cotton for Soybean  Field and flipped it, naturally a prop strike running or not, don't know.

The pictures that I saw was wings struts bent severely!  If I was buying this, I just wouldn't want any old ANP looking at it, make sure they are specialized in Rotax 912 series engines !!!

Posted

Wasted half my morning, but I found it,   81 and Gray matter on this old fart still works!

image.jpg

Posted

When your 81 and still able to fly, no such thing as a wasted morning!  Keeping active also keeps the hamster running in the cage. My hats off to you!

Posted

John,  I don't have a dog in the fight for sure, but I'm not understanding a few things.  The N # on the plane in question is 987TW.  I don't see that # in the picture you posted.  Also, I believe the plane had a VW engine before it got a 582 Rotax which is what it currently has.  In regard to the DAR saying get an AnP to do the inspection, I wonder about that as well.  The info I found on the plane says it got it's AW cert in 2017.  Maybe the DAR is not acting in a official capacity, but merely offering some advice??? JImChuk

Posted

Sounds like i need more research.

Posted

I don’t have the repair man certificate. It has an airworthiness from having a vw motor, but it’s never flown. I changed the motor to Rotax 582. Idk what to do with my hands.

Posted

If there has been an engine change from the original engine when the AW cert was issued, a new AW insp is required. I am going thru the same situation with mine. Call your local FAA FSDO and discuss it with them.

Posted

If there has been an engine change from the original engine when the AW cert was issued, a new AW insp is required. I am going thru the same situation with mine. Call your local FAA FSDO and discuss it with them.

No, that would qualify as a 'major alteration', requiring another period of test flying, per the operating limitations issued with the original AW certificate, usually 5 hours,  but it does not require a new AW certificate.

Posted (edited)

No, that would qualify as a 'major alteration', requiring another period of test flying, per the operating limitations issued with the original AW certificate, usually 5 hours,  but it does not require a new AW certificate.

Didn't say it required a new AW cert, just a inspection, and a 5 hour phase 1 or more depending on the inspector's attitude. Every engine change I've done with a different type engine required an additional insp, with the exception of going back to the original engine that the factory approved. Then they let me do the insp and return it to phase 1 for 5 hours. But then we don't have DAR's in WVa.  Only FAA inspectors. And its the inspector's decision whether to reinspect or not. And a different engine requires a new form to be submitted to the FAA for that engine. Its very possible that the VW engine on this plane was never reported to the FAA, just replaced and flown as is. On way to know is get a copy of the doc's filed with the FAA, which is a copy of every paper filed on that N number. We can't really be sure of the situation till one looks at the paperwork, if it exist. A lot of outlaw aircraft out there flying and never caught until there is an incident. And its usually in the hands of some unsuspecting buyer by then.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

The plane is listed as having a VW engine on the FAA data base.  JImChuk

Posted

Then the paperwork was filed correctly. The inspector is the one to make any final call. Its been my experience that different inspectors or DAR's in different parts of the country make very different calls. Same goes for FAA reg's. Most all FAA people view them differently. And usually not in our favor!

Posted

Ive emailed the fsdo In nashville, waiting to hear from them, but also have this plane up for sale, just such a pain trying to understand how to navigate the hoops

Posted

Another little hiccup  that may add to the confusion, under the rules in place until about 1991, if you did a major change, the FAA had to inspect the airplane and assign you the phase 1 flight test regime.   If you have an airplane with that old of an airworthiness cert, you need to abide by those old rules.  My first Avid was that way, and the FAA inspected it when I changed the engine, and then redid the AW cert so I would then be under the new rules.  Any future major change on that plane would then only need a log book entry, notify the FAA and do the new phase one flight test hours.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

The aw was issued 2017

Posted

The aw was issued 2017

So of  course your plane would be under the new rules.  My post was mostly to explain why some have given one thought about needed an inspection after engine change and others have said you don't.  Either one could be right, but it would depend on which rules are governing the aircraft.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Probably one of the hardest things about buying a EA/B aircraft is sorting thru the paperwork. Some are well organized and some are like a soup sandwich. Most inspections are about the proper paperwork more than the construction. Gotta love the government!

Posted

The aw was issued 2017

So of  course your plane would be under the new rules.  My post was mostly to explain why some have given one thought about needed an inspection after engine change and others have said you don't.  Either one could be right, but it would depend on which rules are governing the aircraft.  JImChuk

Good point! And different people view things a little differently depending on their past experiences. Mark might very well be correct depending on which inspectors he has dealt with and their view on certain processes. Case in point, one replaces his two stroke with a higher horsepower 4 stroke, does an excellent job but doesn't upgrade to bigger fuel lines, didn't do the now required fuel flow test, goes back to phase one, takes off at a normal attitude, does great. Next time does a steep climb and has engine sputtering and loses power. A second set of eyes might have caught it. Maybe not! Sometimes a second inspection isn't a bad thing. A PITA, but not a bad thing.