100 horses in a 4 cylinder with fuel injection. Antique

11 posts in this topic

Posted

2 people like this

Posted

Man, that V4 is compact!  Dunno how one would go about setting it up in a cowling: bring the air in between the V and then out and down?  Plugs come in from the sides!  Very interesting  although, like you say, not too practical!  

Posted

One thing about this sort of drone engine though is if the gunners are good, it only has to fly once.  I want a few more flights then that if I'm flying behind it.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I always wanted to make one of those older military drones into a RC, a buddy of mine has 2 of the ones that had a Motor made by a chainsaw company. Cant remember how to spell it,,,,,,,,,,, Mc??????????? 

Here a pic of one in the aircraft musem in wasilla ak. 

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Wouldn't be my first choice to trust anybody's life with, a 80 year old two-stroke, with no parts availability, designed to fly a gunnery target - ONCE.

2 people like this

Posted

Neat looking engine for sure.  I did a bit of looking around on the web just out of curiosity, and found someone say back in 2007 that the engine cost was $15,000.  JImChuk

Posted

I saw that too Jim, if you de-tuned it to 150hp...you’d have the lightest efi’d 150hp Avid around, and the price would still be better than a Rotax 914

Posted

But I guess the other question would be:  which one is more liable to be running when you land.  Some how that can become an important question even if the engines were free.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

We will only sell these engines to qualified Race Teams with solid budgets large enough to support extensive development necessary for top level racing

This quote from the website tells you everything you need to know on this engine.  It is a race engine.  It is designed for maximum performance output, not longevity.  Definitely not something that I would fly behind even if the company would sell you one.

1 person likes this